Twenty Three: Monk M!

Mutassim laughs at the top his voice, his voice hoarse and rugged.

"What?" I ask innocently.
"You really think relationships work like that?"

He nicely volunteered to drive me to the market to get a few things, he said he had nothing better to do.

I nod "Shouldn't my mental health matter in a relationship?" I ask genuinely.
"Well, of course it does but not yours alone. There are two people in a relationship so before you make a decision regarding it, you should talk to your partner. Everyone's mental health matters"

I huffs "Did he tell you?"
He shrugs "Your darling doesn't talk about his relationships"

"It feels like I'm going crazy, seriously"
He chuckles "Don't worry, you two will sort it out"

I shake my head "You know how stubborn your brother is. He's made up his mind"
"Just give him time"

I nod "But wouldn't giving him time make things between us worse?"
He stays quiet.

"You're quiet"
"No, I'm pondering"

He smiles "Don't worry, I'll talk to him and get back to you"
"You'll help me?"

He nods "But you have to get rid of that egocentric attitude"
I nod smiling sheepishly "Of course, I will".

::

My heart broke into a tiny pieces.
Dahir was in the gazebo with Samira.

They were laughing.
I haven't seen him laugh genuinely in a long time, especially not with me and in our spot.

I huff.
"You good?" Mutassim asks picking up the last bag in the trunk.

"Nah, how can I be good looking at that?" I keep looking at them.

He chuckles "Why are you bothered about them? They're never getting back together"
I gasp "Back together? Are you saying the two had a relationship?"

He was shocked "You didn't know?" He stays quiet "Oh you didn't know. He probably kept it from you not to hurt your feelings"

She smiles "Well, my feelings are hurt. I'll go say hi"
"That might not be—" I start walking towards them.

Mutassim's POV.

I sit by the side watching the drama that is about to unfold.
Things are about to get interesting.

Dahir was seated awkwardly with Samira seated beside him while the girl he loves sits across them.

"So, I heard you two were a thing"
He glares at me and I just shrug.
I forgot that she wasn't supposed to know but if not now when?

"Yeah we were but it's not like it's over completely" Samira says back.
"Oh, so something is going on between you two?"

Dahir was shaking his legs, which means that he's nervous, I was too.
Samira looks at him "I have hopes"

He says nothing.
"You're quiet" Karima comments.

"What am I supposed to say Karima?"
"You're not denying it neither are you agreeing with it"

"Am I suppose to apologize for having past relationships now?"
She huffs "You kept it from me so it's questionable, don't you think?"

Samira looks at him surprised "You kept it from her, why?"
"It's a past relationship, it didn't matter and I didn't see why I have to go announcing it" he stands "I need to go take care of some things for work" he walks away.

"Well, I should go too" I excused myself.

::

I found Dahir on his bed lying down, staring at the ceiling.
"You good?" I ask as I sit on the couch.

He says nothing and just takes a deep breath.
"You look sad today"
He huffs "I'm sad everyday, I just didn't have the energy to hide it today" he says sitting up.

"Brother, why are you doing this? Why are you making things difficult for both of you?"
"She complained to you?"

"No, she feels bad"
He scoffs.
"It's true but is it true what Samira says?"

"No"
"Then why didn't you say so?"

"Because you know that's never going to happen"
"Karima doesn't"

"I don't need to explain myself to her".
I huff.
To me Karima and Dahir are a match made in heaven so it really breaks my heart to see them this way, they both deserve to be happy.

"She apologized"
He shakes his head "No, she decided to want me".

"What?" I ask confused.
"Imagine someone actually wanting you as much as you want them" He whispers to himself.

He raises his head and looks at me "She made decisions, she shut herself off, ignored me because she thought that was best for her and each time she did this I didn't complain because I told myself it was just her protective mechanism, she didn't want to be hurt but then she wanted a break. She doesn't think of my feelings and how I'd feel. I can't be with someone like that, the last thing I want is to feel like I offended her when I've done nothing but love her"

He huffs "Sometimes you just have to be done. Not mad, not upset. Just done. Sometimes the right way to love is to leave"

"So that's it?"
He shakes his head "I don't know"

"Look, sometimes things don't work out because it wasn't meant to be. That's the only way to explain it. Maybe it could have been something if things had been different. Maybe you both would've been the best thing to ever happen to each other. But for one reason or another—it didn't. Rather than blaming one another or the situation that you were in—accept that it wasn't meant to be and move towards what's meant for you"

"Are you trying to tell me to break up with her? That's your advice?" He asks annoyed.
"Yes, if things will continue this way"

"I don't want that, I want to marry her and spend the rest of my days with her"
"So what's stopping you?"

"I want her to want me as much as I want her"
I chuckle.
"So you want her to suffer trying to get you back?"

"Not suffer, just see that I'm human too, my feelings matter and she can lose me".

I smile "Okay then. I thought you really wanted to end things"
He laughs "No way in hell, I'd die of sorrow".

I laugh along with him.
He stops looking at me oddly "Brother, when did you become a relationship expert?"
"Knowledge comes with old age"

He smiles, raising his eyebrows like a creep "Is there another girl? How long will she last this time?"

I chuckle "No, there's no one. I guess losing Abba made me realize death can come knocking at your door at any moment"
"You never knew that?"

"I did but I never thought it would come knocking at his door, certainly not when it did. It makes you realize that this world is nothing and that material things don't matter, dating one girl after another doesn't matter"

He nods "I'm glad to see it now, I just hope you're not planning to be a monk, preaching and not getting married"

I laugh sarcastically "Nah, I'm trying to get pleasure the halal way, not by becoming celibate. I'm a man for god sake"

He laughs "Now that makes sense".
I nod.

::