Understand

--

I shook my hands dry of the sink water, scowling at the emptied tissue dispenser. It's been like that since this morning. Probably yesterday too since it appeared my school doesn't do anything around here. How hard is it to switch out paper towels every once in a while?

My bag slipped onto the floor as I wiped the dampness down on my sweater and replenished my headphones. What Has Happened by 12 RODS was the pick for today so I allowed it to rush into my eardrums and make my walk down the hall a little more exciting. I find it insanely hard not to dance or sing along to the song and personally that seems quite dangerous. Do you know how embarrassing that would be? So break out in dance in the middle of the hallways where everyone is bothered and annoyed, just trying to get to class?

Y'know who would do that to disturb their peers? Frank. Frank would scream at the top of his lungs if it meant he could cause discomfort and get a good laugh. There's not much I could judge him for, I'm the same way. He's just less of a pussy.

As I rounded the corner to my favorite-least-favorite-class, I lock eyes with Gerard who I haven't seen since yesterday afternoon. He's wearing a black and white Mötorhead shirt, leather jacket, and dark pants. His usual outfit basically. He appeared to have a cup of coffee with him. I'm just surprised to see that he's not late. While I desperately didn't want to say goodbye to my music I knew that it would have to happen eventually. I needed to communicate with him to see if this actually works even if I didn't exactly want to. All I want is to pass this class with a redeemable grade.

So I took the earbud out and crossed my arms. Gerard didn't meet my gaze, didn't even move a muscle as I sat down next to him. He was awkward and it was weird. Slowly it actually began to get on my nerves. "Hello?" I asked, voice lined with ignorance. "That's your cue to say it back."

"Hey," he offered a side smile before returning his gaze to the paper. I bit my cheek and pulled it away from him so I could look. It appeared to be a re-run of what we did freshman year. I hated freshman year, but this isn't anything I remember taking. I took biology in both year one and year four but this looks like physical science which should have been taken care of years ago. I scratched my head and looked up at Gee. "You understand it?"

No, I didn't. Of course, I didn't, when did I ever understand physical science, I never took the class. "Not necessarily." I scanned over the words again and sighed, letting my hand hold my head up. "I never got to take the class."

There was a pause that lingered in the air but he didn't pay much attention to it and instead nodded, took the paper, and began explaining. He talked and talked, voice smooth and careful as his finger dragged along and circled specific points like things about ionic bonds and covalent and their differences or how you'd calculate them. All of this knowledge at his disposal in his own head. It was remarkable in a way but only because of how smoothly the words came to him. And the speed that it aggressed. It was like he could do this for hours.

I watched as he chewed his gum, talking with one side of his mouth. Fascinating as he was, I felt I couldn't focus on anything other than him. His voice didn't draw me in as it once was because it was more interactive to watch him in an element I hadn't seen before. Comfortable, intelligent, and indulged. Part of it sickened me. "I don't think I understand." I blurted, cutting him off.

Gerard stopped instantly and stared across at me with a sort of dumbfounded look. While I expected ridicule, I didn't find myself in the middle of it. "Alright... is there a better way I could explain it to you?" I shook my head, eyes glued to his. They blinked back at me before he began to jot.

"What are you doing?"

"The work."

Gerard peered up at me through his bangs and I chucked my eyes to the nearest thing. Frank of course. He was leaning against a desk and seemed to be fairly infatuated with the girl he loomed over. She definitely wasn't all that interested, but Frank was persistent. "I feel back if you're doing all the work," I muttered, eyes still watching the mohawked boy. He slithered around the room until back at his own lab station.