Chapter 4

The ride to the Ravendale district was silent except for the heavy metal music blaring through the speakers of Hank's car. Once, you reached your arm out to change the music and Hank smacked your hand away. You yanked your hand away grumbling.

"C'mon, Hank," you begged, "just this one time." You waggled your eyebrows, hoping to sway the older man.

"Fine," Hank huffed and you pumped your fist at your victory. You flipped through the radio channels, hoping to find something good before Hank could change his mind. You froze as you heard the familiar guitar strum of "Stacey's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne. Your jaw dropped as you leaned back in your seat, relishing in the nostalgia.

Hank groaned, but you sent him a look. "This is a classic, Lieutenant. You can't just skip over it," you argued.

Hank pulled up outside of the supermarket and you took in your surroundings. The downpour outside discouraged you from moving from your seat. You cursed yourself for not grabbing your umbrella.

"Let's get this over with," Hank grunted, maneuvering out of his car. Connor followed and you ambled out of the car, squinting as the rain hit your face.

Your small group moved over to Detective Collins to get the lay of the land. You allowed Hank to do most of the talking. Hank interviewed witnesses and other officers, tapping away on his tablet. You stood under the small canopy of the supermarket attempting to stay out of the rain as much as possible.

"What're you gonna do with that?" Detective Collins probed, his gaze falling over Connor standing stoically in front of Hank's car. You narrowed your eyes at the pair of older men.

Hank sighed, "I've no idea." He left Collins and headed back to the two of you.

"It took the first bus that came along," Connor spoke up, "and stayed at the end of the line. Its decision wasn't planned, it was driven by fear."

Hank let out a scoff, "Androids don't feel fear."

"Deviants do. They get overwhelmed by their emotions and make irrational decisions," Connor countered.

Hank pressed his lips into a thin line, "Ah... Well, that still doesn't tell us where it went."

You interjected, "They didn't have a plan, and they had nowhere to go." You paused, eyes scanning your surroundings, "Maybe it didn't go far."

You, Hank, and Connor scouted the surrounding area, eyes peeled for indication of where the deviant went. Eventually, you came up to a dilapidated house.

"Gross," you said as you crinkled your nose.

Connor crawled through the hole in the fence and emerged on the other side, "There's blue blood on the fence. I know another android was here."

"Go get 'em, killer," you encouraged, raising your fist. Connor looked back at you, a perplexed expression gracing his face. He shook his head before wandering to the front of the house.

You watched as Connor walked away. He would rub his hands together as he walked. The small gesture made him seem so human.

"You gonna help a lady through the fence, or are we just gonna stand here lookin' stupid?" You questioned Hank, raising your eyebrow with a slight grin on your face.

Hank scoffed, shaking his head before heading over to the fence, holding up the small section so you could get through. You curtsied before crawling through the fence. Once you were through, you returned the favor for Hank.

A commotion from the inside of the house caused you and Hank to take off towards the front door. Hank pushed you behind him before emerging in front of the entrance, "Connor, what's going on?" He questioned.

You peeked over Hank's shoulder to see Connor on the floor before he shot up, "It's here! Call it in!" Hank nodded and ran off to report the android. You followed, hot on his heels. You helped each other through the fence and Hank ran to his car to call it in. You stopped on the sidewalk, head on a swivel searching for the android.

Connor sprinted by you, a flash of black jeans and bright blue accents. "Connor!" You called, chasing after him. It was unnerving how fast he was. You weaved through the people crowding the sidewalk, skidding to a halt in front of one of the alleyways. You jogged up to where Connor was staring through the chain-link fence.

"Fuck," you panted, leaning your hands against your knees aiming to catch your breath.

"That's insane," Hank wheezed, in somewhat worse condition than you. The android and the little girl made their way to the median, somehow managing not to get themselves killed. Fucking hell.

Connor started to amble up the fence but you grabbed him by his jacket, yanking him back down. "Absolutely not. You are not going after them," you hissed through your teeth as you dug your fingers into the fabric.

"I can't let them get away," Connor looked down at you, his hold firm on the fence.

Hank huffed, still out of breath, "They won't! They'll never make it to the other side."

Connor attempted to shrug your hand off of him but your grip tightened. "I can't take that chance," he said, before making his way up the fence again.

Hank grabbed him this time, your combined strength pulling him back down, "You will get yourself killed! Do NOT go after 'em, Connor, that's an order!" Hank sounded like a parent scolding a child, his grasp tight on Connor's shoulder.

Connor shrugged off both of your hands and was on the other side of the fence in an instant. "Connor!" you shrieked, hands gripping the fence.

He landed on the muddy embankment and slid down before jumping the barrier. You could only watch as Connor dodged the vehicles flashing by.

"Goddamnit," you whispered, unable to look away. You weighed your options, looking up at the spiked top of the fence. Even if you could climb the fence you'd never survive crossing the highway. Your eyes flitted to your right to the bridge that was connecting both sides of the highway. Before you could even make up your mind you were off, Hank calling after you.

"MOVE, DPD!" you yelled at the crowd beginning to form on the bridge, elbowing your way past them. You watched as Connor and the deviant struggled in one of the lanes. Their bodies missing side mirrors by millimeters. The deviant elbowed Connor, causing him to clip one of the cars passing by.

"CONNOR!" You shouted, your feet moving out of instinct, praying to meet him on the other side. You watched him from the end of the bridge as he stumbled. Your heart stopped as time seemed to slow down. Connor toppled over, but he was up within a second, a car's mirror clipping him again. He was alive. He clenched his fists in anger, but you didn't care.

Connor made his way to the other side and you rushed to meet him on the other side of the barrier. You were on him before his other foot touched the ground, gripping the lapels of his jacket so hard your knuckles were turning white.

"What is wrong with you?" You questioned through your clenched teeth. Your throat tightened and you forced yourself not to look away. "You could've died, you idiot!" You were shaking him now, white-hot anger filling you up and easing away the chill that had soaked into your bones. You were thankful that it was raining as a few tears fell down your cheeks. You ripped your eyes away from him, looking over at the crowd that began to form on the other side of the bridge.

You glared at Connor before shoving him away. You were shaking, and not just from the cold. You turned on your heel and headed back to Hank's car. 

A/N: A shorter chapter before the angst. Buckle up, everyone!