The Operation is a Complete Success... sort of

Loud whirring noises and clanging sounds filled their air. The robots behind them in the warehouse were not happy. Perhaps the giant automaton and realised the trick Gramslinger had played on his mind Not wishing to overstay their welcome, the party bolted out of the warehouse and ran as fast as they could out of the open door and up the road that lead to the north. Craig's agile cat legs carried him far, whilst Gramslinger's dog legs also gave him a quick head-start on the others. Flora and Steve were not impressed, though eventually saw the funny side of it as they settled into a more relaxed pace on the road northwards. The robots had not left the warehouse to pursue them. Night was quickly turning into daylight, which was fortunate as Gary was no longer around to repel the creatures of the wastes.

Having found the relative safety of an old ruined house atop a steep hill, with no danger in sight for miles around, the party decided to rest for a short while. As Flora shut the door to the house behind her, she thought she saw a flaming comet in the distance, leaving behind a trail of fire in its wake. She shook her head and told herself she was imagining things. The building was dark and would remain so well into the morning. Until that time when the sun's lights would penetrate through the thick dust that covered the windows around them, she would be able to sleep peacefully in her husband's arms.

Flora awoke alone, but having risen to her feet she soon found the rest of the party. They were standing at the front door, staring out into the distance. "What's going on?", she asked of them. "Fire!" came the reply. She pushed past them to take a look. Indeed, the whole forests of the southern lands were ablaze. It was fortunate that they were heading north. Suddenly, a sense of realisation dawned on her. That was no comet she had seen last night. What she had seen as Gary in the truck, setting ablaze to the trees around him as he drove past. She told the others. It was agreed that Gary might be a chill guy and useful party member, but he was one dumbass stoner.

With smoke blowing it's way towards them, it was important that the party continued on to the hospital in the north. They had little recourse with the fire slowly gaining on them. Clouds gathered overhead. It was hoped that rain would quell the fires before anymore precious natural resources were lost. The southern forests made a pleasant change from the usual collapsed ruins of the rest of the city. So the party hurried onward up the winding northern road. They eventually saw a large series of buildings, and Craig noticed signs that read 'hospital'. They had found their destination, but what they were to look for inside remained a mystery.

A series of burnt out vehicles lay outside what appeared to be the main entrance of the largest of the buildings. Craig led his team towards it, though once they advanced closer they noticed a figure standing at the door. The figure looked at them, but did not move. Craig continued towards them, slowly but confidently walking straight at them. The figure remained stationary and Craig wondered if they were still alive. As Craig reached within ten-yards of the building, the figure called out: "Halt!" It was another automaton. The others joined Craig, though were nervous at the possibility of confrontation.

"State your business at this facility" said the machine. Craig replied that he was looking for a way to cure his wife's face. The robot moved it's head to look Gramslinger up and down, "Yes, it is clear that this unit's face is severely malfunctioning." "That's not my wife," Craig said, "she's the one in the long black veil." Gramslinger caught a reflection of himself in the wing-mirror of one of the abandoned vehicles. "Severely malfunctioned?" he whispered, as a single tear rolled down his face.

"State your business at this facility" repeated the machine. Craig again explained the situation, but the automaton refused them entry: "Valid ID required. Request denied". The party gathered into a huddle to discuss their next move. Steve spoke up, "Why don't we just go past the machine? It can't physically stop us from going inside. It's bolted to the floor!" Flora snapped, "shut up Steve, that's a stupid idea". She continued to speak: "Why don't we just walk past the robot? It hasn't got legs so it can't stop us!" Steve was sure that he had said something very similar to that only seconds before, but the party had already agreed with Flora's brilliant suggestion.