Part Three: Whiskey

An angry spasm pulled Erwin from his work that night. It was already dark, he realized, lifting his head and standing to stretch with a grimace. The hall the lamps burned low and dim as he went out, flickering as a roar of raised voices came galloping down the stone corridor. Curious, Erwin followed the noise all the way to the mess hall, lingering in the doorway to inspect the scene of male cadets crowded around a single table, glasses and cards between them. Levi was there, too. As though feeling Erwin's eyes, the Captain looked up, then smoothly let himself away from the cluster of rowdy boys, joining Erwin in the shadows. Retreating a few steps back up the hallway, Erwin pushed through the rounded door that led into the courtyard, letting Levi through and following.

It was damp outside, cold and heavy with the damp of impending winter. It clung, dragged like dead weight at Erwin's jacket. Levi leaned against the stone brick wall, his arms folded expectantly. Reaching into his lapel, Erwin retrieved and lit a cigarette.

"I'm sorry," said the Commander, exhaling. The smoke looked silver in the near-freezing air. Heavy.

"Oh?" replied Levi, reaching to take the smoke, his fingers brushing hot against Erwin's. He smelled of whiskey. 

Erwin's skin throbbed knuckle to nose. "I need to make the right choices," he said. "Not just for myself. You understand." Levi hadn't asked, and yet Erwin couldn't seem to stop the words spilling from his mouth.

The Captain looked up at him, eyes glinting over the orange stare of the cigarette. "Of course." Levi blew smoke from the side of his mouth, handing the cigarette back.

Erwin took it. It was burning down fast. "Are we alright?" he asked.

Levi clapped his shoulder. "Erwin, relax. Come inside, have a drink with your squad." Going around the Commander he slipped back inside, and Erwin ground the end of the smoke under his boot, pretending not to be disappointed.

At the entrance to the hall, Levi waited for Erwin to join him before walking back to the boys who let out a bawdy cheer as they approached.

"Commander Erwin will be joining us for a drink, children, so don't fuck it up," said Levi. "Jean, I'm looking at you."

"What did I do!"

Going around the table opposite Levi, Erwin swung his legs over the bench and sat in beside Armin, the cadet's blonde head barely meeting the height of his shoulder.

Pouring generously, Levi slid a glass of amber whiskey across to him.

"Cheers, Commander." Jean raised his drink, and Erwin clinked in with him and the others in a toast.

"Glad you're back on your feet, Commander," added Moblit. He seemed lost again without Hange, but Erwin had to admit that he appreciated his presence amongst the younger boys.

With a nod the Commander lifted his glass and drank deeply, letting the whiskey scorch his throat. It burned all the way down to his empty insides. Good. Tonight he wanted to feel the liquor in his bones.

The boys were already resuming their game. "Alright Connie," said Eren from the head of the table. "Ante another drink or show."

Connie stared into his cards, pale green eyes squinting. "Ahhhh...alright. Six drinks."

"I'm out," Moblit folded his hand to the table, looking over his shoulder for the doorway.

"I'll see six," said Eren. "Raise?"

Connie shook his head. "Show."

They both laid out their cards, and a boisterous howl rose from the group as Connie crumpled his forehead to the table.