03

CHAPTER THREE

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN you got a job?" cooper scoffed, lifting his sunglasses up to get a better look at his best friend

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN you got a job?" cooper scoffed, lifting his sunglasses up to get a better look at his best friend. he propped them on his forehead and pouted. "what am i supposed to do while you're gone?"

"go hang with allie." conrad suggested. "or you can go to the country club and swim. jere's a lifeguard there now."

cooper rolled his eyes, "what if i start to drown? he'd literally watch and laugh instead of save me."

conrad chuckled, "i need some money this summer, okay? my mom doesn't want me just sitting on my ass the whole time."

the blonde stared at him with a blank look. "my mom literally sent me away with you to sit on my ass the whole time."

"you'll be fine." conrad patted cooper's shoulder. " it's not like a legit job. some writer is paying me to teach him about boats and fishing for his next book. it'll only be a couple hours at a time, don't worry."

"you're more than welcome to hang with me when i'm not dealing with the debutant stuff too." belly piped up from beside him. the two had been laying in tbe sun since they'd finished breakfast. "it may not be super exciting, but it's better than being alone."

cooper chuckled, "thanks, belly."

"who is this allie girl anyway?" she asked as conrad gave a small smile and wave. he headed back towards the house to finish getting everything he needed to leave. "a crush of yours or something?"

cooper smiled at the innocent girl. "she's not really my type."

"what's your type then?"

cooper licked his lips. "i'm gay, belly."

the brunette sat up fast and her jaw fell open, "wait, seriously? how did i not know this?"

"i'm not ashamed of it, but i normally don't throw my sexuality in people's faces, so." he shrugged his shoulders and slipped his sunglasses back over his eyes before relaxing again.

"are you into conrad?" she questioned and cooper smiled again.

"conrad is straight, so no. is he good looking? of course, but no, straight guys are not my type."

there was a small silence before she spoke again. "what about jeremiah?"

he hummed. just hearing his name made him want to throw up in his mouth. "is he your type?"

"douchebags are not my type either."

"i don't really understand why you guys hate each other. jere's a great guy and you seem like a great guy too." belly furrowed her eyebrows.

"jeremiah doesn't like that i got conrad into smoking." he pursed his lips. "yeah, it sucks, but he has his reasonings for doing it and that's not something i can stop now."

"his "reasonings"?" belly was confused and cooper silently cursed at himself for even opening his mouth.

"not my business to tell." he responded before a sigh fell from his lips. "i'm gonna grab something to eat and probably hit up the beach. do you want to come?"

"i've got to get ready for debutant shit soon, so maybe i'll catch up with you later."

he gave her a small nod before making his way inside and to the kitchen. the scowl on his face was noticeable as he spotted jeremiah sitting on the counter eating grapes from the container. jeremiah rolled is eyes before popping another grape in his mouth. cooper walked over to the island and grabbed an apple from the bowl by the sink, rinsing it before he took a bite and turned to face the younger boy. his bright blue eyes were scanning up and down cooper's exposed torso before he looked back down at the grapes and it made cooper smirk, but he didn't make a comment about it.

cooper bit into his apple, taking in jeremiah's appearance in front of him. he had on swim trunks and a lifeguard tank with sunglasses propped up on his head. "take a picture. it'll last longer." jeremiah mumbled, looking up to lock eyes with the older boy.

cooper licked his lips, "i could say the same to you."

"there is nothing i'd want to remember, so i'll keep my phone away." the curly haired boy shot back.

the smug look on jeremiah's face pissed cooper off, but he didn't say anything as he stepped towards the boy so that their faces were close together. his eyes never left jeremiah's as he reached for a grape and plopped it in his mouth. he could hear the younger boy catch his breath before cooper spun on his heels, making his way upstairs to his room in search of a towel to bring to the beach with him.

as he made his way back downstairs he heard susannah humming from the kitchen. he walked in to greet her and the wide smile that appeared on her face made him smile as well. "hey, ms. fisher."

"cooper, i tell you this all the time: please just call me susannah. i feel old when you call me ms. fisher."

the blond boy laughed lightly, raking his fingers through his hair. "sorry."

"what are you up to while conrad is off giving lessons?" susannah asked.

"i was going to chill on the beach." cooper shrugged. "don't really have anything else planned."

"why don't you come to the country club with belly and i?" she suggested. "you can hang out by the pool and we can grab you when we're done. i don't want you to have to be by yourself at the beach. i'm sure conrad will be done by then."

"it's okay, really." cooper shrugged his shoulders. "i don't mind."

"please come with us?" susannah begged and cooper bit the inside of his cheek, not wanting to say no, but definitely not wanting to sit at the pool where jeremiah was up on a lifeguard stand literally waiting for him to drown.

cooper nodded, "sure. let me just grab a shirt."

susannah clapped her hands with excitement. "belly's almost ready and then we'll go."

the blond boy saluted her, "be back in two."

hmmmm