Galas are Not for the Faint of Heart

♥︎❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁♥︎

Dick fumbled with his tie for the fifth time this night. He'd been able to do it last time, why couldn't he this time? Suddenly he felt large hands go from behind him and fix at his tie.

" Honestly you're doing fairly well compared to me when I was your age, Alfred had to do it for me until I was at the very least 16.", a deep voice came from behind him.

" I saw you asking Alfred for help with your tie the other day,'' Dick replied."Yea, it seems like not much has changed.", Bruce said.

" Here, let me", Bruce took a hold of his tie and effortlessly tied it. He smoothed Dick's button-up shirt and took the navy blue blazer dick had left and handed it to him.

Suddenly the door opened and in came Alfred, " I do hope you plan to wash out all that gel in your hair master Dick.", Dick self-consciously went to touch his hair. " Now you two better hurry on, wouldn't want to be late to your own gala now would you master Bruce?"

❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁

Dick wasn't a big fan of galas. They were boring and full of stuck-up rich people who all put on fake smiles. It was so suffocating to just be in a room full of people who only cared about money and power.

" Richard is it ?", he heard a voice say, he looked up and was met with the face of a middle-aged man with blonde hair that was slightly greying.

" I heard a few years ago that Wayne adopted a boy but I never met him. Where are you from boy, you look rather ... exotic.", Dick wanted to leave, he wanted to jump out of his own body and leave his skin there, he wanted to do anything but be in the intimidating gaze of this man any longer.

" Fields, I see you've met my son.", Dick felt relief course through his body. " Why of course Mr. Wayne, and what a lovely young man he is, if you shall excuse me I will go find my wife now.", the man nodded at Bruce and left.

Bruce finally turned to him," Was he bothering you, chum? I know Mitchell Fields can be blunt and ignorant." Dick wanted so badly to tell him he wanted to leave and that the man's slightly racist comment was not forgotten by him but instead he said, " I'm alright, how much longer we gotta stay here?", he asked. "Only another hour, but if you wanna leave sooner we can.", Dick wanted nothing but that but he didn't want to be a bother. " No I'm alright, I'll just stay with you, where were you anyways?", Dick always felt more comforted if he had Bruce with him.

" I was talking to some business partners, believe it or not, there's a hefty amount of middle-aged men who want to, how do I say it?", Bruce looked uneasy, Dick knew he wasn't about to hear anything good. " They asked me to, betrothed you to their daughters."

" Oh my god, Bruce you married me off!", Dick almost yelled. " What? No chum I told all of them no, did you really think I'd sell you off like that?" Dick let out a sigh of relief at that. He was so going to tell Wally about this tonight.

❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁

" I know, he was so shady, he called me exotic, what does that even mean Wally?", Dick had a habit of telling Wally everything that happened at these stuffy galas. He found comfort in talking to Wally and Wally could say the same for him.

" I'm sorry that happened, I wish I could be there for you.", Wally said. Suddenly Dick got an idea.

" Why can't you ?", and before Wally could interrupt telling him he's just a mere peasant boy Dick cut him off with," You know If I just told big bat to extend an invitation to a lovely reporter named Iris West and she just happened to bring her nephew along then .."

Wally seriously considered it for a moment. He hadn't seen Dick in almost a week, and for them, that was already too much.

" I mean how could I pass up a chance to see you?", Dick instantly brightened.

" I'm gonna hang up on you Walls but tell your aunt to be ready to receive an invitation.", Dick quickly said before hanging up on him. He then flopped down on his bed with a dopey grin. He'd already been feeling instantly better when he called his best friend but now he was over the moons.

♥︎❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁♥︎

Word Count : 786
♥︎ Hi this is my first fanfic so feel free to give me some tips and constructive criticism to help better my writing. Also feel free to comment or tell me about any grammar mistakes you see or really any mistakes ♥︎
Edit 10/12/22: Now writing Chap 2 I realize Chap 1 sucks but you have to see it through ok.