Chapter 8: The Village Chief

Zera welcomed the girl into the house. She knew that this was Raze's relative, Arna. Apart from the obvious similarities in looks, she had seen this girl with Raze's uncle, who was the son of the village chief.

The girl didn't have any airs when looking at Zera. She was just here to complete the task her grandfather asked her to. Word had spread that Raze was living in a woman's house and although Arna didn't really care what Raze and Zera were doing, who told her to be caught by her grandfather when he needed to find someone to come over.

Arna thanked Zera and got straight to the point. Looking at Raze she asked.

"Grandfather wants to know what's going on. Why are you living in Ms. Zera's house?"

Raze simply replied "We're married. If I don't live here, where should I live?"

Arna wanted to roll her eyes. She shouldn't have expected Raze to be normal. Ignoring her sarcasm, she still couldn't help but think of what Raze just said.

"Married?" she thought, "This probably won't go well when grandfather hears about it".

Arna who had gotten the answer she wanted quickly thanked them and left. She knew that it would not be a very happy time when she returned home. She thought of just running away after telling her grandfather, so that she didn't have to be the innocent messenger that was killed.

Raze didn't think much about the interaction but Zera knew that there would definitely be a follow up. She felt a little nervous in hindsight.

Raze was busying herself with the wheat seeds and didn't notice the change in Zera's attitude,so she looked back and asked Zera if she was ready to go?

Zera had to nod her head and put her worries aside for the moment. She followed Raze back out to the fields and because of the boar hunt that had gone on the day before, the men that passed by them or were walking in their direction all greeted Raze. She wasn't stingy and greeted them back with a smile.

Planting the seeds wasn't as laborious as ploughing, but keeping your back bent for hours was a gruelling activity. When the afternoon sun had shone, Raze and Zera finally finished planting the fields.

When returning home they found Arna had returned with a gruff old man. Raze guessed that this was her grandfather. Raze told Zera to just wait aside with Arna and went to chat with her grandfather.

The village chief was a sharp eyed old man. He led Raze to a room and asked her if she understood what she was doing.

Raze replied "I know what you're worried about. However I don't believe in those rumours. There aren't any people willing to marry me, except her".

The Village Chief couldn't refute Raze's words. Her reputation was even worse than Zera's. He knew that it was pointless to say anything so he simply had to accept it, but he was surprised by this child's newly found eloquence.

Raze offered to let them stay for a meal but he refused, saying he had other duties. Raze didn't keep him, so Raze and Zera could enjoy the peaceful meal they had hoped for.

The news of Raze's marriage to Zera swept through the village that day. The two knew this was the village chiefs way to save their reputation. Raze didn't think anyone needed to know if they were married or not, but if it protected Zera from some unsightly words, then it was a harmless profit. After wards the two cleaned up, bathed and fell asleep.

Far away in the capital, a steward walked into the study of a certain mansion and handed a letter to the man sitting behind the desk.

The man opened the letter, frowning as he read it.

"So she was pregnant at that time. It's surprising that she never chose to come to me for anything".

The steward had been with the man for many years. He knew that the master was just speaking out his thoughts, so he should just remain silent.

The man who had finished the letter looked up and said to the steward.

"Who was looking for this information?"

The steward saw the master was calm when he spoke, and replied honestly.

"It was the maid beside the madam that inquired about the woman in that town".

The man didn't show any anger on his face, but his voice was mixed with gritted teeth.

"She isn't happy with the marriage I chose for my daughter, so she wants to use this stupid trick and replace her instead?"

The man wasn't angry because his wife wanted to use a child born to a prostitute. He was angry because his wife dared to play tricks which would lead to him being embarrassed in front of the other officials.

"Seeing as she wants to play these games, than let her send some people to bring the girl back openly, instead of sneaking around behind my back".

The steward could only nod his head and fulfill his masters arrangement. He sent a servant to the madams house and informed her of what the master wished her to do.

The madam was a little nervous that she was caught. She had suspected that he had a child outside. Her husband had taken many concubines and visited many brothels. A lascivious pig, though she would never say it aloud. Knowing there was some of his blood spread out into the world, should have made her angry, but now it was like a beacon shining in the night, allowing her daughter to avoid a catastrophe. With the permission of her husband, she quickly sent two trusted maids and a few guards. She only knew the name of the girl, and where her mother lived, but that was enough.

That night a carriage was sent towards the direction of the village where Raze and Zera slept steadily, not expecting such a situation would happen to the unsuspecting newly-weds.