04- River

Jasper laughs hysterically, one hand clutching his stomach as he listens to my random stories of being locked in my cell. I had just finished telling him and Monty about the time I had got fed up with the security and stole his radio, only to let the entire Ark know that I was hungry and if no one brought me some food, I wouldn't stop singing made up songs. Not only was the Guard angry and came back to take the radio back, but two guards thought I was hilarious and actually snuck me some food.

Monty chuckles a little, listening to the story, as well. I never really thought my stories would ever be told to anyone. I mean, I expected to be floated when I turned eighteen next year. There's no way I wouldn't be floated. I guess coming down to Earth is, like, my second chance at having a life.

"You are most definitely my sister." Jasper laughs with a smile.

I shove my hands in the my jacket. I step over a root in the ground, only to come to an abrupt stop when Jasper holds up an arm in front of me. I open my mouth to ask what he is doing until I notice him and Monty watching Finn place a purple flower behind Octavia's ear. I wrinkle my nose at the two.

"Now, that, my friend, is game." Jasper says to Monty, lowering his arm.

"That, my friend, is poison sumac." Monty points out, picking up one of the flowers as we continue on.

"What?!" Octavia freaks out. Her hand flies up to her ear to swat the flower away from her. "It is?"

I snicker, passing by her. I look over my shoulder at the three of them. "The flowers aren't poisonous." I pick one of the small, purple flowers up. I twirl the flower between my fingers. I spin around to walk backwards. "They're medicinal."

Monty raises a finger into the air. "Calming, actually." He adds.

I nod at him. "Exactly."

Jasper raises his eyebrows at this. He points to his friend. "His family grows all the pharmaceuticals on the Ark." Jasper points his finger at me, surprised. "But, how did you know that?"

I press my lips together. "The Chanchellor thought it would be best if I got a good education, in case there was that slim chance of me not being floated." I answer with a small shrug. I spin back around to have my back facing them.

Everyone turns really quiet behind me. I guess they don't realize how lucky they are for not being locked up for their whole life. Sure, Octavia was locked up, too, but she was able to see her family. I wasn't. I don't even know what my parents look like.

Clarke whirls around, fingers tightly clenched around the map. "Hey, guys, would you try to keep up?"

"Come on, Clarke." Finn holds his arm out. "How do you block all this out?"

"Well, it's simple. I wonder, 'Why haven't we seen any animals?' Maybe it's because there are none. Maybe we've already been exposed to enough radiation to kill us. Sure is pretty, though. Come on." Clarke turns back around.

Okay, I get that Clarke wants to get to Mount Weather, but she doesn't have to be so emotionless.

"Someone should slip her some poison sumac." Jasper whispers under his breath at Clarke's retreating figure.

I giggle into my hand, bumping my shoulder into his. Jasper shoots a grin in my direction. The two of us continue on with our trek to Mount Weather. Clarke is further up ahead, leading the way for the rest of the us.

Finn looks over his shoulder at the three of us. "I got to know what you two did to get busted."

Monty glances at his best friend. "Which time?"