Chapter 4 | Kiss Bound

Chapter 4

My fingers reach into my schoolbag, but panic seized me. I unzip every pocket, every little nook and cranny, every spot and crack in my notebooks. I had even grazed over my current spell book to see if it was shoved up in its depths. Nothing: absolutely nothing.

"Did you lose it?" he asks, with deep concern and mocking tone.

I zip my black backpack up taking a quick step away from it to gain my sanity back. Sitting on the desk closest behind me, I swing my legs around absentmindedly: wanting more than anything to find where I could have put my love-potion. "I just misplaced it. It's probably in my desk drawer at home."

This is not going as well as I thought.

Joe slides my bag to the end of the long black science desk across from me, and swoops in to take it's spot. His hands lean back behind him and his shoulders scrunch up under his weight: "You can show me tomorrow, then."

Joe was a long-time crush, we had started dating several weeks ago: but that was all we were, nothing more and nothing less.

I knew he liked me so I figured the love potion wouldn't do harm if it lasted less than an hour or two, though, now that I have to wait for tomorrow to show him- it's appeal wasn't quite as appeasing anymore.

"Never-mind, we don't have to test it out." It was a lie; I may never actually get to test my love potion because it was...in my defense...only made for him.

Joe shrugs, "I am sorry you can't find it."

I want to shake him, in that moment, because it is not his fault I misplaced it or left it at home. At the same time, I longed for him to be messing with me and had playfully stolen my milky-white potion, but I know him- he would never hurt me like that. "Don't worry about it: it is not your fault. Like I said, I think I may have left it on my desk."

He dips his head down, his curly mess of blonde hair lifting to frame the side of his face. "You know, you are the most amazing person." His words were mumbled and strewn tightly together.

"What?" I breathe in; my lungs started burning and my ears heating. My stomach flips, waiting for a response was like waiting for a whale on a whale-watch boat: it just takes a while. "I'm sorry, I don't think I heard you?"

"Eris, you are a sweet girl- do you know that? I would do anything for you."

I have a hard time processing what was happening, so my eyes glance down to the white-tiled lab floor. "Oh, well, you're sweet too. I really like you." I can't swallow my spit, frozen in my spot.

Wait: did I say like or love?

I watch as his face lights up and his eyes rise to make eye-contact: "I like you too."

I take a moment of silence, just as he does, watching his movements with keen eyes. Joe's shoulders soften and his hands fidget absently at the edges of the science desk. "You do?"

I could tell both of us knew what to do, but neither of us was capable of acting on it.

My spit continued to rise, and I felt forced when I swallowed: knowing he would hear my desperate gulps with attentive ears. He leans off the desk across from where I sat, and my heart froze. I wanted to smile, to feel anything but completely nervous, but my stomach lurches and I was convinced I would vomit.

When he leans close enough so that I can feel the heat beating off of him, he whispers into my right ear, "I really, really like you."

I swallow, hard, gripping the edge of the science table desk, waiting for him to make a move. His face backs away for a moment so I can look into his deep hazel eyes, my own heat radiating from my skin, my palms becoming more than sweaty. He leans in, stopping halfway.

He was waiting for a response.

I complete the gap, pressing my lips to his. It was almost too perfect that I lost track of thought.

His warm hands pressed my lower back off the science lab table, till I was standing beside him. He was taller than me by at least three inches so I was tilting my head up and his downward.

His lips moved, and I copied him as best as I could- trying to calm myself.

A moment of his kiss and his arms wrapped around me, my senses caught a hint of awkwardness when my arms were hanging down by my sides; I raised them quickly to his forearms, trying not to be shy with myself.

He pulls away with a hint of a smile.

The school bell rings, and soon the classroom would be filled with human students.

I was snapped back into reality for a moment, sweaty and giddy about my first kiss. Joe kissed me... or wait... did I kiss him? I wasn't even sure who kissed whom: maybe we kissed each other? Did I do well? Was I awkward? Did I feel awkward?

He was smiling at me, his hands still wrapped around my waist as if he were hugging me gently. "Come on, I'll take you to class." He grabs my backpack, and his own, guiding me out of the class.

*

After school was over Joe walked me home and I bid him goodbye- nothing special. When I opened the front gate to our large property I race up the field of green grass. I popped open our red front door and entered the house with nothing short of glee.

"I'm home!" I shouted, and to no avail.

I knew my mother would be home, even as a detective with crazy hours she was always here when I got home from school. If she still had to do work in the day she would go back later in the evenings.

Curious, but not suspicious, I turned to my right and enter through the kitchen doorway calling gently to her form at the counter: "Mom?"

She was sitting with her back to me. Her arms were tense and her body jagged with frustration.

"She does not belong to you; you do not have any right to go near her. She will be matched soon, and I will not stand for you to interfere with it." She stands quickly, her long black hair pushed off her shoulders by an invisible wind. I could feel the anguish she felt for the person hiding behind her frame.

"Ms. Meyer, I think I may have overstayed my welcome. I'll tell him that it is no use and to back off."

The boy's tone was close to mocking my mother. His voice alone held an air quality of power and calm radiance.

In the next instant my mother whips her head around to stare me down. "You're home. What are you doing? Go to your room: now."

Not really understanding the situation or why my mother had suddenly wanted me to exit the room: I make my way up the stairs.

At the back of my mind I knew I wanted to have gotten a glance at our unexpected guest. He must have been some wannabe looking for my hand in marriage.

Though, as I finish off my homework, I reach into my desk drawer to find the petal of one of my lilies laying delicately between the walls of wood and darkness.

I remembered that my fingers had only plucked a single petal from the lilies hanging about my window; now crushed and drunk with my lost love potion.

I didn't want to know how another one could be laying delicately placed inside of my locked desk drawer.

"Missing something?"

I look up suddenly, surprised, and find a beautiful man grinning devilishly at me with stark white teeth. Ready to scream and whisk myself away with a flick of my hand, my body locked. My muscles cramp under any pressure my body quakes endlessly to create. Movement had become futile when facing this gorgeous stranger.

"I just wanted to say: thank you for thwarting the protection spell. Lilies can be a pain to break." He growls, reaching behind me for the flower petal. "I couldn't have done this without you." He traces the petal he plucked around my face, my body wanting to bring up anything I had previously eaten.

With my lips locked together I watch the flower petal disappear, and in its place was a vial: with delicate cloudy swirls of white twisting inside of it.

This stranger has my homemade Love Potion in his hands.

Ah Hell...