The Last Waltz

You woke up in the headquarters sprawled out on the sofa in Jean's office.

The Acting Grandmaster was immersed in her work and was occasionally checking on you so it took a little while for her to notice that you had finally come to.

"Oh Y/N, you're awake." She said finally noticing that you had gotten up.

She explained that Diluc had brought you here in a panic when you had been attacked by a Abyss mage.

You thanked her for letting you stay and you checked the date.

1 day until the windblume ball.

You had to ask Diluc out and quickly. Your breath had become quick due to the lack of space in your lungs to take in oxygen.

You headed down to the tavern in search of the person who was causing your lack of breath.

You fell over and gashed your knee as you stumbled towards the tavern trying to hold in the incoming vomiting of flowers but you failed, hurling up a mix of blood and lamp grasses.

You pulled yourself to your feet and continued on your twisted tumble towards the tavern.

This phase of flowers had stopped and you felt somewhat normal so you pressed on.

You swung the wooden doors of the tavern open and it creaked on its hinges.

"Oh Y/N are you alright I hope you have recovered after that incident." Diluc said from behind the counter.

His cheeks were slightly red and his under eye was swollen.

Had he been crying?

"Um... Diluc could I talk to you for a second?" You asked timidly.

He nodded and you both sauntered upstairs and onto the balcony.

"You wanted to talk?" He said with intrigue written all over his face.

Your cheeks had gone pink and you attempted to compose yourself.

"Would you like to go to the windblume ball with me? I know big social gatherings aren't really your thing but-."

"I'll go." You were speechless.

"I heard there was a fatui emissary there so I ought to keep an eye on the place." Such a cute excuse.

"Plus any time spent with you is time well spent in my opinion."

You looked beautiful

You looked beautiful. Once you had told Amber about your dance with Diluc she insisted that she would help you get ready for the ball.

You were close with Amber and she always looked stunning at all of the different festivals so you trusted her judgement.

The dance was tomorrow afternoon.

When Amber was busy rifling through your clothes so you didn't have to conceal the flower that had shot up your windpipe.

"Hey what about this one?" Amber pulled out various outfits from a pile and you didn't really like them so you settled on an outfit that you picked yourself.

Finally you were both ready. Amber had spent an unhealthy amount of time obsessing over her outfit.

You knew she liked Eula but if this continued you might have to pull her back to Teyvat.

You both stepped out of her house and made your way up to the cathedral.

From the bottom of the stairs you could see the enchanting decorations placed around the courtyard.

You were looking forward to your night but you had to remind yourself that Diluc was probably just here to spy on the Fatui.

Gulp. a flower.

Amber dragged you up the stairs and was quickly met with her date offering her a hand and leading her to the ambient music.

You were left alone to walk the remaining steps alone.

When you got to the top you scanned the crowd to see if you could spot Diluc.

A hand landed on your back and you jumped in surprise.

"Oh sorry I didn't mean to scare you Y/N" the redhead spoke in his usual soft tone that, unbeknownst to you, was solely reserved for you.

"Shall we?" He said offering you a hand before leading you onto the dance floor.

The moon shone a beautiful light over the cathedral and cast perfectly onto you two like a spotlight as you and the other Mondstatians twirled around the dance floor.

Diluc had one hand resting on your waist and the other gently held your other with such care that you'd think he was scared that he might break it if he adds a little too much pressure.

His cheeks were lightly coated in pink and he avoided your gaze a little.

You both seemed completely focused on each other, but then he spotted the emissary speaking with another fatui before they both went behind the cathedral to talk in private.

Diluc left after re-assuring you that he'd be back.

The moment he left you had realised how difficult it had become to breathe.

A couple petals fell out of your mouth.

You decided to get a bit of fresh air and go for a stroll.

You'd have time right?

Diluc would be gone for a while so you'd would be fine.

Fresh air clearly wasn't working.

Every step, a flower

Every breath, impossible

You had found yourself near springvale resting under a tree coughing up all sorts of things and you had another round of hurling up flowers.