Return to the Homeland

Finality's not what it seems.

When your end comes, rise up and run.

Don't let defeat dissolve your dreams.

Agent 8

—-------------------------------------------------

After doing some research on my phone, I'd learned that the upcoming Splatfest would be three-sided, confusing me greatly. It seemed to be a collaboration in between two different cities. To me, I was worried, because this was a Splatfest like no other.

The Squid Sisters VS Off the Hook VS Deep Cut.

Because Marina had helped me a while back, I had to say that Off the Hook was the easiest choice for me to pick. Ace, wanting to stay by my side, chose Off the Hook as well. Surprisingly, Bryson had also joined us as well, but he never did tell us why.

Liv, however...

"Don't get me wrong," said Liv as she sat across the metal table from me. We were outside Deca Tower, hanging out with each other, just the two of us. "Off the Hook is great and all, but the Squid Sisters really changed my life. With their music, they showed me there was another life I could live, and so I'm really grateful to them."

I could understand that. Liv was an octoling, after all. "It's okay," I said to her. "I just hope we won't have to face each other. I don't think I could keep up with you. You're pretty good with that blaster."

Liv smiled. "I'm hardly a fighter. Hector was the one who'd do most of the hard work during our missions. I just planned things."

"Will Hector be joining the Squid Sisters team, too?" I asked.

"Yep," Liv answered, making me worried. Hector was a brush user, and because of that, I was scared of the possibility of facing him. While ink wasn't deadly to me, melee weapons were an entirely different beast because of what they could do to someone with bones.

I sipped on my soda for a little while, looking at my phone as time passed by. The Splatfest wouldn't be here for a while, so I had a lot of time to prepare. Bryson was able to carry us in League for the rest of those six matches, getting us into Rank A, and although I was happy about that, it still meant that I needed to pull my weight.

Bryson made that very clear.

"Hey, Amelia?" Liv spoke up.

I blinked out of my thoughts once again, smiling at her. "Yeah, Liv?"

"When's your birthday?" she asked me.

"My birthday...?" I replied. I finally remembered it had been more than half a year since I started my Turf War career. "August," I replied. "Four months away."

"What do you want for your birthday?" she asked me, putting me on the spot.

What did I want...? "But... I have everything I want, already,"

Liv tilted her head a little with confusion. "Huh?"

I smiled, looking down at my phone. "Well, honestly... I don't mind if you get me anything. It's just hard to figure out what I'd want because all I'd ever wanted when I was stuck inside for four years were friends..."

Liv stared at me, seeming unsure of what to say. "That's... very sweet," she said with a smile.

I couldn't help but softly smile back. "I'd do anything for you all."

I wasn't lying when I said it. Even when I was still with my parents, all I had ever wanted were friends. Mark had been the only one there to play with me. The moment I started living with Nem-Nem, I was dependent on her, trusting her more than anything, and even then, I wanted so badly to go outside and make friends my age.