Hidden Truths

"You're not so free if you've gotta work a nine-to-five. Pearlie wanna PLAY. ALL. DAY!" - Pearl

---------------------------------------------------------------

"So, lemme see if I heard you right," said Bryson, sitting next to me on his large couch. Everything in his home always seemed to be extra large or extra fancy for some reason. I guess that was just how the rich lived. "You want me," said Bryson, "to use my own time and money on finding your brother, a human, who may or may not be alive, in a city full of inklings, that he may or may not be in, even though he has been missing for possibly six years ?"

I idly drummed my fingers on the arm of the couch, looking down, looking away from him. "Mhm," I replied, just barely nodding. I didn't want to ask him at first, but on my own, I didn't think I could ever find Mark.

"Amelia, just letting you in my home is enough to get me in trouble," said Bryson before sipping from his soda. I shrank into the corner of the couch, feeling embarrassed that I had even asked.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I guess I can't get over the fact that he's been gone for so long..."

Bryson brushed a tentacle out of the way of his vision, then he took off his round sunglasses, revealing his surprisingly very blue eyes. I had never known what color they were until now. "Look... I know what it's like to lose a brother. I lost one of mine a long time ago. That's something I will rarely ever talk about."

"I'm sorry," I said again, feeling hopeless.

He placed a hand on my shoulder, a firm grip clenching it. "I can try to ask my dad, or one of my brothers. Dad's got relations with the Kensa company and Edward's got partial ownership of Annaki. Though, I'm gonna have to fudge the truth a little. Can't talk about the human bit. That, or I'm gonna have to do it myself. I'll need help to work a computer."

"You really want to?" I asked. "I'm sorry for asking you. I didn't think about how selfish my request was."

"Quiet, noob ," said Bryson with an unapproving grimace. . "Don't ruin the moment."

I giggled, unable to hold it in. I looked up at him, his gaze catching mine. "Thanks," I replied.

For some reason, I saw a hint of red on his cheeks. Had I embarrassed him? I hoped I hadn't. He shook his head, the red now gone. "No problem, noob ," he said. He let go of my shoulder and leaned against the arm of the couch on his side.

"So, what now?" I asked, feeling odd for just sitting around.

"Dunno about you, but I'm gonna sit back and relax for a bit," he said, picking up a remote off of the table in front of us. He pressed a button, causing the television to turn on.

The news was on at the moment, a reporter speaking. "In other news, a local inkling has reported a rare phenomenon in which a participant in an earlier turf war could not be splatted by any means. This has caused rumors to float around, stating that it may be a new project being tested by either our own government or by the octarians."

The scene switched to the outside, showing an inkling in a hockey mask. I panicked. "Th-That's the inkling that kept shooting me with his blaster!" I exclaimed.

"That freak," the hockey masked inkling said, pausing briefly, "is a cheater. She shouldn't even be allowed in a turf war. Judd is taking bribes, and I refuse to believe anything else."

"What do you think she is?" the reporter asked a female. As I looked closer, I recognized her. She was the inkling with the splatterscope, the inkling who had insulted my ears several days back.