Chapter 62

In the early morning of the first day of the New Year, Yang Zhengming picked up Tao Xi by car and went to a cemetery in the outskirts of the city. Last night Tao Xi told him that he wanted to sweep Fang Sui’s grave.

The cemetery was amidst the mountains and rivers. It was still early, white fog caged the silent and unoccupied cemetery, Tao Xi followed Yang Zhengming for a long time before arriving at Fang Sui’s grave.

This was the first time Tao Xi saw his mother, separated by a tomb.

After seeing Fang Sui, Yang Zhengming walked a short distance away, leaving Tao Xi alone to speak with Fang Sui.

Tao Xi placed a bouquet of white roses in front of the tombstone; the snow-white petals were still covered with dew. He squatted down and looked at the tombstone, reaching out to touch the engraved words on the cold stone tablet.

The photo of Fang Sui on the tombstone was replaced shortly after, a pair of beautiful eyes gazing tenderly at everyone who came to see her. Those who came to see her grew older and older each year, but the person in the picture stopped forever at that flowery age.

Tao Xi looked quietly for a long time, as if he was looking at his mother in the photo, and he said softly, “Mom, I’ve come to see you, can you see me?”

Only the sound of wind and birdsong could be heard faintly among the graveyard, and after another long time, he continued to say to the tombstone:

“Mom, I’m home.”

“Grandpa and Grandma are very nice to me, I had dinner with them last night and Grandma cooked a lot of food for me.”

“Grandma said I like the rice wine she made as much as you do, so I drank an extra bowl, if only you could have it too.”

“I’m doing well now, I have someone I like very much, and he likes me very much, and I came here for him, and he took me home.”

“I’m learning painting with Grandpa Qiao. He always said that he has a very good female student. I know that it is you. In the future, I will make him as proud of me as you.”

“Mom, thank you for always blessing me from heaven.”

“I miss you so much and wish you happiness and joy in heaven.”

The fog gradually dispersed, and the light golden sunlight passed through the thin white fog. Tao Xi stood up in front of the tombstone, and finally slowly bent down towards the tombstone.

On the way back, both father and son were a little silent. Yang Zhengming drove the car and did not turn on the music this time. Tao Xi kept looking out the window and after a long time without talking, he suddenly asked Yang Zhengming:

“Why Taoxi Bay?”

On the way here, he already knew through Yang Zhengming the reason why Fang Sui had left his family in the first place.