Chapter 10: A Faint Noise in the House

Getting up that morning felt strange, as if it wasn't my daily routine. I was quick to turn on the lamp, scoping out my room for concealed shadows. There was nothing lurking underneath my cluttered desk or hiding in the space between my bookshelf and the wall. My posters stared at me, but none of them reached out to drag me into darkness. The house was silent, as my uncle had already left for work earlier than I could wake up from my nightmare. I wanted to text him and reassure myself, but he was already gone, and I no longer owned a cellphone. 

Pulling on a thick sweater, I mourned the loss of my leather jacket. My uncle bought it for me when I was fourteen, on one of our rare trips to the Warwick Mall in Rhode Island. I was so excited to leave Mystic and explore department stores instead of shopping online. I wanted everything in sight, but there was nothing I desired more than that red jacket. As soon as I eyed the crimson leather hanging on the rack, it was like the jacket already belonged to me. 

The jacket's price was steep, so I thought my uncle would refuse to buy it. But he simply sighed, rubbed his nonexistent forehead wrinkles, and told me to look for my size. I bounded off toward the plus size section, practically skipping with glee as he trailed behind. Before I could get too excited, he waved his finger in my direction and said: "This is your birthday present, alright? Don't expect much else." 

On my birthday that same year, he bought me a pair of glossy combat boots, the same ones I wore to school every day. 

I laced up the shoelaces, feeling like a part of my outfit was missing still. It was silly to admit, but that jacket made me feel kind of invincible. When I stepped out of the house wearing it, I could take on anyone or anything. Without the red leather to hide my insecurities, I felt all too exposed. 

I rummaged around my closet for a replacement, and could only find my wine-colored puffer coat. It was a little early, but the cold outside was starting to nip at my fingers anyway. I pulled it on and shouldered my backpack, sighing. Now came the hardest part.

I paused at the front door, wondering if I could pass my seasonal allergies off as an unexpected cold. Common sense told me the answer was no. I sighed again, closing my eyes like that would help me escape my current reality. Would I even make it to the bus stop before a Shade attacked me? 

I rubbed the lapis lazuli between my fingers, calming my thoughts. There was no sense in worrying over something that hadn't happened yet. Besides, I chose this life. I chose to be an Unnormal; to defend myself against darkness. I knew that it wouldn't be easy. 

I opened the door, prepared for the cold walk to the front of our neighborhood. It took me a second to notice the blue car sitting in the driveway, and another one to remember who it belonged to. 

A small smile slid onto my face when I saw Jade waving at me from the passenger seat. She was wearing a red velvet blouse with a ruffled collar and flouncy sleeves. Her hair was pulled up into a sleek bun, with a few loose curls slipping through. I could hear her call my name even through the glass windshield, because her voice was just that loud. 

Carson was slumped over the driving wheel, but he looked up at Jade's loud greeting. His eyes were unfocused as he greeted me with a sleepy smile. I lost focus for a second, eyes lingering on his soft upturn of lips. 

He waved me over while starting up the car. I wondered if he should be driving when he could barely stay awake, but at the same time, I wasn't one to pass up a free ride. 

I turned to lock the door behind me, pocketing my house keys. I let my eyes drift over the sidewalk, checking for signs of movement. There were no invisible eyes, no shadows waiting to strike. There was only my new friends, impatiently waiting for me.