Rain Kiss Scene

[Early draft of the rain kiss scene before actually writing out “Eenie Meenie Minie Mo”; Cal is Leander, Abby is Kodi, and Joey is Sawyer. This has always been the monumental scene in this book. Kissing in the rain. This book was meant for a rain kiss. This one was when I hardly knew my characters and hadn’t put them to paper yet. They existed only in my head. So I didn’t get the passion from this draft like I got out of the revised version. It’s more cutesie and less passionate. Leander and Kodi have a very complex love-hate relationship and it just doesn’t show in this. They’re two strangers who’ve had to put up with eachother for two weeks tops. But this was always meant to be a foundation draft, and it has thus far served its purpose.]

  I threw open the door. It was pouring rainout, but I didn't care. Cal's light in is room was on so I knew he was in there; being the energy conserving freak he was.

  "Cal!" I yelled furiously. "Cal!"

  He probably couldn't hear me through the heavy rain. I stormed off the front porch and into the rain. I was drenched in mere seconds. But I stood directly outside hi window, unwavering.

  "Calvin Hyde! I know you're in there! Get your ass out here now!"

  I saw him go to the window, his bright blue eyes landing right on me. He opened his window. "What the hell d'you want?"

  "Get your ass out here and figure it out!" I screamed above the thunder.

  "You're crazy, Abby! It's pouring!"

  "Pussy! It's just a little water!"

  He glared at me, shutting his window and disappearing. He would be out here, though. He couldn't stay holed up in his room after I'd just called him a pussy.

  A second later, the front door slammed. He stayed on his front porch, though. "Now what the hell d'you want?"

  I glared at him. "What the hell was that about at Melissa's party?"

  He glared back with as much venom as I had. "You don't need to get involved with Joey. He's bad for you."

  "You don't get a say in who I want to get involved with, Cal!"

  "No? You preached to me about scummy guys who just want to get in your pants, and you throw yourself at the scummiest?"

  "Joey's not a scumbag!"

  "The hell he's not!" Cal yelled furiously, storming out into the rain. "You don't even know him!"

  "This isn't even about Joey! This is about you thinking you can control me."

  "Damnit, Abby. Don't you ever listen? You just hear what you wanna hear! See what you wanna see!"

  I glared up at him. "What're you talking about?"

  "Me, Abby! You. Why Joey's not a scum, but I am. Why he's good enough, but I'm not."

  I blinked at him for a minute. "Cause you hate me! You're a jerk!"

  Cal laughed sardonically. "You are so stupid, Abby!"

  "See!" I said, pinting at him accusingly. "You see? You're a total dou--"

  I was caught off as Cal grabbed my waist roughly and yanked me forward, crushing me to his wet body. I had a split second to yank away, but I was too stunned. And then Cal caught my face and kissed me. He kissed me so hard, it was almost like he didn't even want to kiss at all.

  He pulled back and glared down at me. "You really don't get how much I care about you, do you?" he said in a low and husky voice I had never heard before.

  I blinked up at him, my lips tingling. "B-but...."

  He chuckled. "You really are terrible at reading men." He pulled my wet hair out of my face and behind my ear.

  The gesture was so gentle, it was odd coming from Cal. His eyes were softer and the way he was looking down at me.....My stomach knotted.

  "How much do you care about me, Cal?" I whispered, my voice strained and wavering.

  "Too goddamn much," was his romantic answer.

  I felt like touching my lips, but Cal was still holding me so tight against him. I could feel his heartbeat beneath his soaking clothes. Staring up at him sent water trickling into my eyes and I blinked away at them furiously.

  "Cal," I murmured. "I had no idea...."

  "Course not. You're too pig headed."

  I slapped his chest, pushing away. "You're pig headed, too, Cal! Way more than I am!"

  He laughed, and his sarcastic demeanor was back. This Cal I could handle. The soft and 'I-care-about-you' Cal I just...couldn't. "I don't think anyone can be as pig headed as you, Abigail."

  I glared at him. "Don't call me Abigail!"

  "Abigail," he taunted.

  "Shut up, Cal!" I was furious with him! I was furious he didn't let me say what I needed to say! I was furious because he had kissed me! But, mostly, I was furious because I wasn't furious at all; at least not as much as I should've been after he'd just kissed me like that.

  "Abigail," he teased again.

  "Cal!" I screamed, but he kept at it. I didn't know how to shut him up without storming away, so I just kissed him. It was about as hard as he'd kissed me, and my hand clutching the back of his head was nothing close to be gentle. But I had the satisfaction of him being surprised. When I tried to pull back, however, he pulled me into him, deepening the kiss.

  He held me so close I could barely breathe. His hands clutched at me and I was only too hyperaware of my soaking white shirt. There was barely anything between us; just thin, soaking material.

[And I guess I just decided to end it there? lol! Hannah :)]