Chapter 1

As he sets foot into the school building Wayne can't help but feel a little bit of excitement. His first day of high school! And, he gets to spend it with his best friends which is the cherry on top.

He'd missed them over the summer break. Unfortunately all their parents had scheduled their holidays on different dates, which meant every single time they wanted to meet up, one of them wasn't home.

First up is home room. He walks into class and immediately spots his two friends. They wave at him and he makes his way over to them. He sits down the row behind them. That's the disadvantage of being a friend group of three, the last one to arrive has to sit alone.

"Hey Wayne." Ben turns around and puts his arms on the table. "Excited to be in high school?" He asks as he wiggles his eyebrows.

"Obviously, one step closer to Berklee isn't it."

"Just four more years," Daniel sighs.

"Good morning freshmen, welcome to high school. Before we start home room I want to introduce you to someone new. Most of you will know at least some of your class mates from middle school. But Daniel here just moved here from another state. Make him feel welcome please." The teacher announces.

"Another Daniel?!" Ben exclaims in frustration. "Just great," Ben adds.

"You can sit over there." The teacher points to the seat next to Wayne.

Dan simply nods and holds his head low as he makes his way to the seat. Wayne smiles as Dan sits down next to him.

"Hi my name is Wayne," he tells Dan as he looks at him. But before Dan can answer Ben turns around again and speaks up, "You know his actual name is Daniel and that's also Daniel. I'm surrounded by Daniel."

"Oh that's funny." Dan says, forcing a small laugh. "You can call me Dan though, if that's easier."

"Good to know, Dan. My name is Ben."

"Attention everyone," the teacher speaks up. "I'll be handing out everyone's schedules, please raise your hand when I say your name."

Once the teacher is done handing out the schedules, the class erupts in excitement. Everyone is talking as they try to compare their schedules.

Ben, Wayne and Daniel find out they share most of their classes. Which is a relief to all of them. The definite highlight of their schedule is the music class on Friday afternoon though.

"Hey Dan, do you share any classes with us?" Ben asks.

"Ehm, I don't know," he shoots up as he clearly wasn't paying attention to what was going on.

Ben snatches the schedule from Dan's desk and holds it next to his own. "You also chose the music class? Nice!"

"Do you play any instruments?" Daniel asks.

"I played the saxophone in middle school but got bullied for it, so I quit. I drum in my brother's band sometimes and I also play a little guitar and piano. Nothing special tho."

"Wow nice! The saxophone is cool. I play a little trumpet." Daniel smiles.

"Why have I never seen you play trumpet Daniel?" Wayne asks which makes both Daniel and Dan shoot up.

Before either of them can answer Wayne speaks up again, "This is why I go by Wayne, too much Daniel and Dan confusion." He laughs.

"Oh I'm sorry," Dan says.

"No it's fine," Daniel says. "We should think of nicknames, that's cool."

"You should shorten your last name. Platz sounds super cool." Ben says.

"You know what? That doesn't sound so bad. Yeah Platz is cool." Platz says with a smile.

"Okay Platz." Wayne says with a little laugh.

"And then we can just continue to call Dan, Dan. Problem solved, I am something of a genius you know," Ben says with a proud smile.

"You're so full of shit Ben." Wayne retorts. Which then all makes them laugh.

//AN

Thanks for reading!

I'm not from the US. So I genuinely have no idea how school and classes work there. I've tried my best but might've made up some stuff to fit my story.