Chapter 3

"If I had one wish
I'd fill up that pit, I'd fill up that pit
I'd cry 'til it filled to the brim
You'd swim to the top
I'd grab your hand." He finishes the song and keeps his head down. Dan closes his eyes and refuses to look at the other people in the room.

The others had somehow convinced him to preform the song. 'The Pit' something he had just finished and something he would never consider sharing with others.

Ben had boldly asked if the stuff he wrote in his notebooks was lyrics. Normally, he would've lied and said no.  But something inside of him told him that this time he could actually trust the people he was sharing this room with.

So after little urging from all three of them, Dan stood up and took a seat behind the piano to start playing his song.

To say that all three of them were amazed would be an understatement. They were in awe and weren't quite sure what to say.

"So, how was it?" Dan asks nervously.

"Wauw," Ben is the first one to speak up, "that's amazing."

"It's eh, still a rough draft. I actually think something like a violin in this could be nice, but I don't play any strings." Dan slowly looks up to the others in the room.

"Oh wauw I can see that," Wayne starts, "You know actually, Platz plays violin. He could play it for our performance." Wayne smiles.

"Ooh yes, I could use a kick drum for a little percussion as well," Platz adds.

"That sounds very fun," Ben agrees, "Then bass goes to me, guitar to Wayne and Dan could play keys while singing?"

"That's fine," Dan agrees, "But are you really sure you want me to sing?" Dan adds nervously.

"Absolutely, you're voice is amazing. And you wrote the lyrics, it's fitting!" Ben exclaims.

Dan lets out a nervous laugh but nods, "okay then."

Dan starts playing the piano again as Wayne tries to find the rights chords for his guitar. Meanwhile Ben quickly picks up his bass part.

While the three of them are slowly practicing, Platz is on his way to find a violin. He has one at home and he could bring it for the next class. But he doesn't think his parents would be super happy about him bringing such an expensive instrument to school. So he heads to the teacher in the hope there's one he can use.

"Hey Mr. Bryson, I have a question."

"Hi, Daniel Platzman right? You have a brother that's a senior right?"

"Ah, yeah to both."

"Nice to meet the younger brother then. What was the question?" The teacher asks with a smile.

"Do we happen to have a violin I can use?" Platz turns slightly nervous as he asks the question.

"I think we might, why would you need one though?"

"Eh, the song we're doing. Ehm- we want to try it out with violin, we think it could be cool," Platz tells Mr. Bryson.

"Ah, I see. Come with me I'll see if we can get you one."

Platz follows the teacher and after a bit of asking and searching they find one. They borrow it from the orchestra after a lot of promising not to do anything weird with it.

The teacher follows Platz back to their rehearsal room just to make sure he won't do anything crazy with it.

As Platz opens the door the music immediately stops and they all turn to look at him.

"Hi, you're back! Any success finding a violin?" Wayne asks.

"Eh yeah, the teacher helped me." Platz steps inside of the room and holds the door open for the teacher.

Dan visibly flinches at the sight of the teacher and Wayne throws him a worried glance. The teacher doesn't seem to notice however.

"So, what have you guys prepared so far?" The teacher asks with a smile looking around the room.