Chapter 20: Lukas

Lukas stood with Ryleigh as the pack members made their way back to their respective homes. Several pack members had approached to meet their new Luna, which ignited a brief spark of irritation in Lukas at those who did not introduce themselves. The spark was quickly quelled as he understood their cautious reserve. The pack had just been informed that they were going to war, and that their Luna was related to the person responsible for starting the war. They are unsure of her, Lukas thought. They will not be for long.

Lukas was overwhelmed with the devotion that others in the pack had pledged to his mate. Although not all lycans met with Ryleigh after the meeting, all of them had acknowledged their allegiance to her and the war. Lukas' jaw ticked at the thought that some of his pack had only knelt to prevent confrontation of their disagreement, but he would address that issue later. For now, he wanted to spend the moment with his Luna, before they had to return to training.

Jackson approached Lukas, and Lukas nodded to him. He shifted his gaze back to Ryleigh and he found her speaking to Phinneas with Bailey. Lukas' wolf pressed forward slightly, his gold eyes bright in defense. "She is fine," Jackson spoke softly. "Our people responded well to her, except the females."

"More for you, then," Lukas replied, finally shifting his gaze from his mate to his Beta. "None of them were anywhere close to worthy of the title."

"I don't think any of them gave a shit that the title was gone; they cared that their Alpha would not fuck them anymore."

"More for you," Lukas repeated. "Have at it."

"So kind of you, Alpha," Jackson grinned. "Seriously, I'm happy for you. She will fit in just fine around here. Her and her sister."

Lukas tensed. Ryleigh's admission of Bailey had been unsettling, but he understood why she had announced it; the pack needed to know. From what he observed, Bailey was aware of the announcement, so the two must have spoken privately before the meeting. Worry creased his brow as he studied Bailey. He had no doubt in his mind that Ryleigh would die if Bailey was killed. She needs more training, he thought. After our training tonight, I will talk to her about resuming training for Bailey. She needs to be ready.

Warm elation crashed into him as Ryleigh's eyes locked on to his, but it was quickly depleted as her emotions overpowered him. She was happy, worried, nervous, and even had a slight twinge of fear mixed in. She offered him a small smile, and he could not hold himself from her any longer. "Excuse me," Lukas said to Jackson, then walked over to Ryleigh. She opened her mouth to speak, but he denied her voice. His hands cupped her face, and he kissed her eagerly. He wanted to erase her fear and her worry and replace them with nothing but happiness. He heard her inhale in surprise and he pulled away with a smirk. "I hope I did not interrupt," Lukas said as he turned toward Phinneas and Bailey, his arm secured around Ryleigh's waist once more.

"Not at all, Alpha," Phinneas nodded. "I was just getting to know your Luna and her sister. Human?"

"By my own choice," Bailey said. "But Lukas has welcomed me here, to make this my home with my sister."

"I can keep her safe here," Ryleigh said. "Until she turns twenty-three and has time to decide what her future will be."

"If we win this war, then her future can be continued as a Karizma and nothing more," Lukas said.

"When we win this war," Ryleigh said sternly. "We cannot let Naomi and Nathan win."

"We won't," Bailey said.

Lukas felt Ryleigh stiffen and he glanced at her curiously. "Will you excuse us, Phinneas?" Ryleigh asked softly.

"Of course. Luna, Alpha, Miss Bailey," Phinneas nodded to each of them and then departed.

"You won't be fighting with me," Ryleigh said to Bailey.

"What are you talking about? I have to. We need to make sure that we win this," Bailey argued.

"But what if we don't?" Ryleigh asked. She sighed and rubbed a hand over her face. "Bailes, if we lose for whatever reason, I need you here."

"Riles, I can take care of myself—"

"It's not just you that I'm worried about!" Ryleigh snapped. "If Lukas and I don't come back from this war, where do you think Naomi and Nathan will go first? The rest of our pack, our home, will be in danger. We need you here, to fight for them if we can't end this war."

Bailey bit her lower lip as she processed Ryleigh's words. She is right, Lukas thought. Him and Ryleigh are convinced that they will win, but they need to focus on the possibility of the loss. If they lose, the rest of the pack will be slaughtered or enslaved for their affiliation with Lukas and Ryleigh. Naomi and Nathan will need to make a statement; a statement that removes any threat, and all that are supportive of that threat. "Jackson," Lukas said. "He will stay behind with you." He beckoned to his Beta to come toward him. "If I don't make it back from this, I trust no one else to lead this pack in my absence. You and Bailey will need to defend it, no matter the cost."

"Of course," Jackson nodded. "I believe that it is time to resume training, then. Would you like to join us, Bailey?"

"I would love to, actually. I'm a little rusty on combat, and I could use the exercise," Bailey smiled. She embraced Ryleigh in a hug. "I will see you later."

"I'll come check on you after your training with the lycans and see how you're holding up," Ryleigh grinned.

"I'll be easy with her," Jackson smirked.

"You'd better not be," Bailey shot back. "It's not really training if you use love taps."

Lukas turned to Ryleigh as Bailey and Jackson walked toward the pack houses, their bickering voices widening Ryleigh's smile. "Luna," he purred.

"It's official now," Ryleigh sighed shakily. "And how they pledged themselves—"

"They believe in you, love. They see your strength and determination, and are inspired to fight with you," Lukas whispered. His grip tightened around her waist as he pulled her against him. "They are not the only ones who will die for you."

"Don't. Please," Ryleigh pleaded, her emerald eyes clouded. "Don't tell me that you will die for me. I don't want to hear it anymore, from anyone. Live for me, with me, in the world that we build after this war."

"I will do my damndest to protect you," Lukas protested. "I will not just sit back and allow you to get hurt."

"Then you can stay here."

Lukas growled darkly. "No. I can't."

"Lukas," Ryleigh sighed. She slipped her arms around his neck and gazed up at him. "My ancestor bested my magic and murdered me. Ancestor. You would stand no chance against her on your own. If she harms me, you need to let her. My magic and my wolf will protect me, and I will make sure that I protect you." Her hands traced up his throat to his face as she pressed on her tip toes. "The best way that I can fight her is away from you." Lukas' gold eyes surrendered to his blue ones. He inhaled deeply and closed his eyes. He turned his face into Ryleigh's palms and allowed the touch of her skin to calm him. I could not have been blessed with any other mate, he thought. She is who we need right now. Who I need.

Lukas' eyes shot open as Ryleigh cried out in pain. She ripped her hands from his face and stared down at her skin in bewilderment. Heat radiated off her skin in waves. He reached out to her, and she took a step back. "Don't!" She snapped. "Something is wrong with me. My magic has never been like this." She gripped her stomach suddenly and more heat exploded from her skin. "It hurts," she whispered. "What is this?" Lukas sniffed the air suddenly, and his wolf snarled lowly. His wolf's gold eyes burst through his blue ones. His gums ached with the need to brandish his canines to his mate. Ryleigh's scent flooded his nose so intensely that he was drowning in it, tasting it as it slid along his tongue and rolled down his throat. "The heat cycle," his deep voice rumbled. Ryleigh's eyes widened in surprise, and, before she could say anything, he threw her over his shoulder and sprinted back to their house.