Chapter 1

This is a terrible plan.

    This is unbecoming of the future heir to the throne.

    This will surely be met with harsh consequences, one of which could be death.

    All these thoughts race through Sybil's mind as she paces the length of her bedroom. She glances out the East-facing window, past the gardens and castle close, beyond the market square and through the kingdom residences, to The River. A thick morning mist that has settled close to the ground is filtering the first rays of sunlight across the calm waters, shimmering in a way that can only be explained by the power of The River. One more thought crosses Sybil's mind, overshadowing the others.

    This is the right thing to do.

    With that, the princess heir of Pozaria Kingdom, Sybil Flamme, flings open her wardrobe and tosses the battle gear she stole from the last closet in the darkest corridor of the basement onto her bed. She strips off her silky nightgown in haste and dons on the thick pants, too big tunic, and heavy fighting armor. As quietly as she can, Sybil drops to all fours and slides the freshly polished sword out from under her bed, the steel gliding over the floor and glinting in the early morning light streaming through the window. It's heavier than she remembered, Sybil weighing it in her hand, shifting her weight and grip to accommodate the weapon's size compared to her figure.

    Though packed with lean muscle from taking up physical hobbies, such as archery and hand-to-hand defensive combat, Sybil is still a young woman. And young women are not taken into account in weapon design despite Pozaria's progressiveness when it comes to all people's occupations. The sword is more than half of Sybil's height, which is quite large considering Sybil's above average height for a lady, the vast majority of the weight seemingly to be held in the tip forged from a metal gifted from the magik lands back when things were better.

    Things will be better if I can do what I set out to do this morning, Sybil thinks tightening her grip on the cushioned handle. She takes a practice swing in the open space between her bedroom chamber and sitting area, slicing the air with a slight wobble. Examining the weapon and reflecting on her own confidence, she slides it back under her bed and opens her bedside table drawer to produce a sleek dagger. She twists and turns the blade in her hand, the weight and dimensions of this weapon bringing back some of the fire she had two nights ago when she had hatched this plan.

    The realm in which the Kingdom of Pozaria resides is called Magisch. Pozaria is one of five kingdoms, all of which benefit from the magickal properties the land provides in exchange for proper care and offerings. For the entire thousand years since the realm was formed, peace was had between the kingdoms as the Land of Magisch resolved resource conflicts on its own and facilitated fair trade among merchants. That is until the plague.

    Magisch has been under attack from an otherworldly source that has been affecting the magik. Though unproven, the deteriorating events occurred after a falling star passed directly over all five kingdoms in the same night. The kingdoms of Snavis, Aeria, and Driitae have been faring well against the plague for the five and ten years it has been present, the magik lands surrounding their kingdoms still being able to supply enough to maintain order, health, and hope. Time has proven to be the best antidote, waiting out the magik to heal itself since the events of the falling star. Crops slowly began to flourish again, herbs for medicinal practices taking on holistic properties, cross kingdom trade boosting economies.  Pozaria, however, is one of the smaller kingdoms, sharing a border with the Kingdom of Vande, the two separated by The River. The River is the heart of the magik lands surrounding both kingdoms and is still being greatly affected by the plague. Even more so than the other magik lands as it is trying to maintain two kingdoms rather than one. It has never caused trouble in the past, the sharing of magik lands between kingdoms, but this time of turmoil that seems insurmountable war has been birthed.

    While the Kingdoms of Pozaria and Vande were once allies against outer realm conflicts, aligning themselves with the other kingdoms, the plague has brought out an evil in both. Aiming for geographical gain and monopoly over The River, Pozaria and Vande have resumed war while the other three kingdoms have ceased fire. The shared border has suffered from not only the plague, but the conflict between the two peoples. The River, once a large raging force of nature and magik, has now dwindled to what can only be described as a fierce stream. A trickle of its power remains and it shows in the produce, medicine, and well being of the residents of Pozaria and Vande.

Stealing one last glance out the window towards The River, Sybil exits her rooms and sneaks through the vast hallways and winding staircases to one of the servant entrances of the castle. Pressing herself up to the cool stone walls to avoid the morning rotation of guards and kitchen staff, she slides her body along the perimeter of the castle, trying to ease her anxiety of being caught and sentenced to lockdown. Again. She grazes her hand across the dagger secured to her hip and flips the battle helmet visor down over her brow. With one last deep breath, the princess heir sprints through the gardens of her home to join the growing ranks of her kingdom's army.