Chapter 3

"Do I even need to speak it out loud?" King Eldridge, Sybil's father and current monarch of the Kingdom of Pozaria, asked, pinching the bridge of his nose between his forefinger and thumb.

    "It wouldn't make a difference anyway," Sybil mutters under her breath, wincing as the royal doctor wraps her right wrist tightly in a healing balm covered cloth. The container holding the balm sits on her tea service table, Sybil noting the small size of it compared to the last time she was treated for an injury. The change in container size only speaks of the dwindling magik in their lands. Even more of a reason to justify her actions earlier today.

    "What you did today, running into battle without so much of a word regarding your whereabouts," the king started, the power in his voice booming through her sitting room, his dark hair, much like Sybil's own onyx tresses, moving about wildly with his animated motions.

    "You wouldn't have let her go if she had," Queen Amia interrupts, passing through the doorway. She gives her daughter a soft smile before turning to her husband. "Yes, her actions were dangerous and I'm not pleased she would put herself in harm's way, but she did so for our kingdom. Dear Sybil cares so much for her people and I think that makes her a fine ruler, no matter how ill-advised her plans may be," the queen adds at the end, sending a pointed glance to Sybil.

    "She gets that from your side of the family," King Eldridge huffs.

    "Whatever you say, my love" the queen laughs and rests a loving hand on the king's shoulder.

    King Eldridge and Queen Amia are opposites that complement each other well. While the king is old fashioned in some ways and prefers to do things by the book, the queen is flexible and gentle yet stern when she needs to be. The balance in familial power has given Sybil enough free range to get away with her scheming all throughout her childhood, but at four and twenty years of age, her parent's have been putting more responsibility on her and have been coming up with what Sybil thinks are harsh punishments for stepping out of line.

    "So," Sybil says. "Will I be spending the next fortnight in my rooms like the last time I decided to try and save our people? Or do you have enough sense to realize I am fine and did no harm in going to battle this morning?"

    "I have a better idea," King Eldrige finally says. He nods towards the royal doctor and continues, "We have arranged for you to work in the infirmary tending to the wounded soldiers. You will assist the doctor and the nurses in whatever tasks they need completed. It'll be a lot of running around for supplies, taking notes, and fetching tea. You can handle that, can't you Sybil?"

    Sybil groans but nods in agreement. It's better than being stuck in her rooms all day without any entertainment outside of her ladies in waiting, Olive and Melinda, which were also limited the last time she snuck out of the castle close. It will also be an opportunity to gain information on what has  been happening to their people, how the magik has been affecting their lives, and strategy for the next battle. She thinks her parents know this as well.

    Yes, this punishment isn't a punishment at all.

    "We will let you be for the rest of the evening, my dear," her mother says, coming to give Sybil a light peck on the cheek. "We're already late to our meeting, so we may miss dining with you tonight. I'll send Olive and Melinda to keep you company until you start your first night shift in the infirmary."

    And with that, the king and queen leave Sybil alone in her rooms with the royal doctor who is still bandaging her minor wounds.

    "Do you know what meeting they are going to?" she asks the doctor.

    "I don't have that kind of information, my lady," the doctor replies, reaching for another bandage to place on Sybil's chin. She gently presses it into the cut, securing it in place with a sweet smelling adhesive. "I do know they will not be holding the meeting here, I saw their carriage being prepared earlier."

    Sybil thanks the doctor before she leaves, gathering her medical supplies to return to the infirmary. Despite what her father may think about her reckless actions, the good deeds she performs within the castle and outside its grounds has gained favor with many of the people. Sybil is always being fed information from some person, whether it be servants or the subjects in the market square, about the ongoings in the kingdom that her father doesn't care to share with her because she hasn't earned that responsibility yet in his eyes. If there is one thing about Sybil, though, it is that she always has a way to get what she wants.

    And right now, what she wants is to tell Olive and Melinda about her short time in battle over a hot cup of tea.