thirty seven

As Spencer began to wake up, she rolled over, wanting to be near her husband, only for his side of the bed to be cold and empty

As Spencer began to wake up, she rolled over, wanting to be near her husband, only for his side of the bed to be cold and empty. "Jay?" Spencer whined as she rolled onto her back, yawning. "Jay?" She called out, propping herself up on a pillow.

Spencer started to internally panic. Especially after what had happened the previous day she didn't like waking up without Jay. Her mind instantly went back to when he got kidnapped and shot.

When the bedroom door opened and Jay walked in, a huge wave of relief washed over her. "Hey." Jay whispered, going over to the bed. "I tried to let you sleep." He explained, sitting on the side of the bed and she silently nodded. Spencer reached out and held onto jays hand, needing to feel he was really there. "When do we fly out?" She lowly asked, looking down.

"Our flights at 4, chicago time. Its 11 now." Jay answered her, tucking hair behind her ear. "I really don't wanna go back there. I can't see him again. Oh my god- or go back into our apartment." Spencer started spiralling and Jay out put his hands on her face. "Hey, slow down. I promise you I will be right there through it all. Lean on me, I'm not going anywhere." Jay smiled softly, kissing her forehead.

Spencer pulled Jay into a hug , resting her head on his shoulder when he whispered in her ear "I made you waffles and coffee" Her face lit up and she smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too."

———

After managing to get out of bed, Spencer walked down the stairs, hand in hand with Jay. She sat at the island and stared at the plate in front of her, not wanting to touch it. "Please eat something." Jay sighed, handing her a coffee.

"I need to go check on Alex." Spencer mumbled, taking a mouthful of her coffee. "No, what you need to do is eat. I'm not going anywhere till you eat something." Jay insisted, pulling a stool out and sitting down. Spencer obliged and cut into the waffle, taking a bite. Jay stayed there until he was satisfied with the amount of food she'd eaten.

"Thank you." Spencer smiled, pushing the empty plate away from herself. "We should probably start packing." Spencer suggested as she stood up, bunching her sleeves around her hands. "Come here." Jay whispered, pulling her into a hug. Spencer's eyes welled with tears and she tried to hold herself together. He knew she wasn't okay.

———

Spencer sat on the couch with Alexander on her lap, spending some time with him before they'd to go. Jay was in the kitchen explaining to Becca that Lottie would be minding the kids instead of them for the next couple of days.

"Mama." Alexander blabbered, grabbing onto the strings on her- jays hoodie. Spencer smiled at him, kissing his forehead. "Spencer, time to go." Jay said, walking over and lifting Alex up. "You be a good boy now for your auntie and Becca." Jay teased, smiling at his son before handing him to Becca.