Chapter Nine: All I'm Good For

"Are we going someplace special? Why are you wearing different clothes?" Vex teases. I held my breath because I was deathly afraid she might pass out as she did a few days ago. She was wide awake now and walking normally, but I couldn't stop the anxious feeling from creeping in. She was so fragile as all human lives are. How would I handle liking her if she could break in any second?

"Hey, are you alright?" She asked while touching my forearm. I looked down at her small hand and then up at her face. Her big brown eyes sucked me in first. That's what I liked about her the most.

"Uh yeah, sorry. Come with me," I smiled while taking her hand. I haven't held her hand in a while. I missed how warm she felt. I helped her climb on top of my horse. She fearfully tightened her grip on the horse, and I laughed,

"Are you scared of horses?" I teased, and she shot me a look,

"No, I just haven't ridden one before. Cut me some slack." I climbed on top and gripped the reigns. She wrapped her arms around my waist. I felt my cheeks heat up. I don't think she has ever touched me like this before. I shook my head and slapped the reigns against the horse. How could I get so flustered over something many women have done before?

We took off, and her grip tightened. We weren't going very fast. She shouldn't be nervous. Could humans die from things going too fast? Should I have asked Altho more about humans before I took her out this afternoon? I hate to admit it, but I am a complete novice regarding humans. The closest I've come to them is undressing them. I knew my way around a naked human woman, but anything past that was new territory. Come to think of it, would he even help me? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't give me any advice. He's rooting for Jax to get with Vex.

"So, are you going to tell me where we're going?"

"It's a secret." I joke

"A secret? You make it sound like a date." she laughs. It is a date. I know I messed up my chance when I said that stuff about her, but I still liked her. I wanted to tell her that I regretted everything I said, even though I'm sure she knew. How am I going to earn her forgiveness?

After a few minutes of riding, we arrived. I specifically picked this hilltop because it was filled with poppy flowers, and you could see the sunset perfectly. I hopped off the horse and held my hand out for her to take. She took my hand and hopped down. Once she looked around and saw the picnic I set up for her; her eyes softened just a little. She looked up at me, but I whisked her away to the blanket before she could protest.

"Draci, what is all this?" she questioned

"Just a friend treating his friend to some wine and food." I rushed out, and she eyed me quizzically while sitting down on the blanket with me.

"Oh, just a friend, huh?"

"Yes...here, try this!" I smile while giving her a bite of fancy cheese on a toothpick. I didn't fill the picnic basket myself, so I had no idea what the staff put in the basket. I hope she isn't allergic to anything. Or worse, hate anything in the basket. Should I have packed the basket? She chewed slowly. She hates it! Damnit, those servants don't know anything about filling a picnic basket!

"Is this supposed to be eaten by itself? You know, in my culture, we often had cheese with fruit." She comments while picking a strawberry and taking a bite from it simultaneously. Her eyes widened in shock before shoving the cheese and strawberry into my mouth.

"Try it!" she exclaimed, and I hesitated. This is the same toothpick that she bit off of. It would be like our lips touched. The very thought made my cheeks burn. Would that be alright? Before I could protest, she shoved the food into my mouth. This woman! Wait, this flavor is delicious. I slowly chewed with her and then swallowed.