Chapter 4 - Two Sides of a Coin

...

After school, I sit in the Occult Research Clubroom at Kuoh Academy. Despite not going to this school yet, I still come to meet up with Rias, Akeno and Yuuto after school

My mind's still focused on other things, though.

Issei...

When we first met, I had stupidly dropped my ice cream. It was made even worse considering I had waited a while for it.

Yet, Issei, not knowing me at all, bought me a replacement.

He kept stealing glances at me, making me think he was just as perverted as the guys here...

...but he wasn't.

He introduced himself and left. Nothing else came of the meeting.

A week later, we met again, under similar circumstances to last time. But this time, the roles were reversed.

I wanted to sit down after buying ice cream, and decided to sit next to him. He was on the bench I usually sat on, after all.

We talked a bit, while eating our ice cream, and that was that.

Then, we met again some time later. This time, both of us meeting one another on the way to the ice cream stall.

The old man's story about being nervous about love clearly stuck a chord with Issei. I didn't know why, until he asked me out.

I've been asked out before, usually by creeps or perverts attracted to... smaller girls. But there was something about Issei. I still don't know what is it, either.

Maybe it's just because he's the first guy I've met here that hasn't lusted over me in disgusting ways...?

Of course, it helped that he is kind of attractive.

He's quite observational obviously, figuring out my pension for sweets and cats. Though, I doubt he realized my love for video games.

The date was wonderful, he was really nice and took me to some nice places. That sunset, while cheesy, was beautiful.

...I still can't believe I mustered up the courage to call him my boyfriend.

I'll admit, it doesn't feel bad.

Heat rushes to my face, as I think about that.
One thing I am curious about Issei, is how he doesn't have any friends. He's clearly a nice guy, even wanting to walk me home, despite how cheesy it was.

"Are you okay, Koneko?" Rias asks me, perhaps noticing me being distracted by my thoughts.

"I'm fine."

"Hmm... It wouldn't have anything to do with that cute boy you were with yesterday?" Akeno teases me.

"N-No..." I protest weakly, inwardly chastising myself for even answering. Akeno then says her usual 'Ara ara~' at that. I can practically feel my face heat up.

"Boy?" Rias asks.

"Yes, our little kouhai went on a date yesterday." Akeno says.

"R-Really?" Rias looks at me, her blue eyes wide in surprise.

"He asked and... I didn't see why not." I explain simply.

"That's wonderful, Koneko." My king praises me, likely pushing her own feelings toward me. She's in an arranged marriage, after all.

"Who did you go out with?" Yuuto politely asks.

"Hyoudou Issei." I tell them his name.

"Hyoudou?" Rias asks, trying to place the name.