Chapter 2

Joelle:

I jerked awake suddenly after having a dream.
For a moment, I sit still in bed looking around and forgetting where I was, then I remembered I was in my bedroom in the home of my adoptive parents Jonathan and January Black.
Funny how the first Letter of their names went perfectly with mine and how their last name was black because they were black.
I closed my eyes and said a prayer the way January (whom I called Janie because I was still getting used to calling her mum) taught me to do every morning. I got out of my princess canopy bed and prepared for school not sparing a thought to the dream.
Ever since I turned 10 I began to have dreams of someone's life. Someone who looked like me but I knew wasn't me.
She was suffering.
She lived a shitty life that couldn't change in anyway.
One time I explained the dream to Janie and she booked me an appointment with a therapist.
Tera Patrick, my therapist couldn't explain my dream so she told me to ignore it and that's just what I did.
I just can't explain why I dream of a life opposite and far from the perfect life I have now.
Sometimes I think my consciousness or mentality was affected by the life I had in the orphanage before I was adopted but I don't think that's it.
A wise man once said 'if you can't solve it then leave it'.
Funny enough that wise man is my dad Jonathan Black.
I make my way to the bathroom where I brush my teeth with a blue electronic toothbrush before taking off my purple nightgown and getting into the bathtub.
I would've liked to soak for a little longer but I had school so I had to get out and rinse under the shower.
After that I make my way across the room in a pink fluffy robe to find my uniform already ironed and neatly folded on the bed.
I guess Rhea placed it there.
Rhea was the personal maid my parents got when they adopted me even when I insisted not to.
I guess they wanted me to relax and not lift a finger to do anything because I was their little princess.
I made a mental note to ask Rhea not to get my uniform out of the closet again even though she wouldn't listen.

Few minutes later, I was dressed up in a white starched shirt, black mini skirt, long white socks that went all the way to my thighs and black flat shoes. I applied my makeup (something light and simple), adjusted my curls and topped everything with a golden pendant shaped like a heart that Janie got me two years ago on my 15th birthday.
Anyways, I grabbed my pink backpack and made my way downstairs to the dinning room.
The dinning room was spacious and luxurious with chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, a long mahogany table in the middle of the room with brass candlesticks places strategically on the table.
I came down the marble staircase to find mom and dad waiting for me.
They always insisted on having breakfast together with me no matter how late I am to breakfast.
"Hey mom, hey dad" I kiss them lightly on the cheek then take my seat.
"Hey beautiful how was your night?" Janie asks. She was dressed in a royal Versace blue jumpsuit matched with Black 5 inches strapless heels with a silver chain wristwatch, pearl studded earrings and had light make up on her face while my dad was dressed in an imported three piece suit and Italian shoes with a golden Rolex watch on his left wrist.
"It was great" I smile while buttering a piece of toast.
"Any dreams this time?" Dad asks sipping his coffee.
"No. Not this time" I reply.
"Good" my mum nods.
"But just in case it persists, give me a call and we'll go see Dr Patrick okay?"
I flash her a smile and sipped my orange juice slowly.
I wish they could understand that my dreams mean something. I mean you can't just keep dreaming without reason right? There has to be something behind it.
We eat on in silence while dad asks me about my schoolwork and stuff like that.

A while later, Georgina my one and only best friend and neighbor makes her way into the house accompanied by Rhea.
"Hey pops and Missy, what's popping?" She plucks a grape fruit from a tray in throws it into her mouth.
Georgina lived in the a Victorian style Villa across my house.
Her parents were real estate agents, owned a legitimate real estate company and made a lot of money from it.
I met Georgina when I first moved here, she was learning to ride a bike when she almost fell into a rose bush full of thorns and i stopped her before she hit the ground.
It was a funny moment and we both laughed at the end.
Now we're best of friends, unseperable like Siamese twins.
Now she drops in whenever she like including doing our family breakfast time not that my parents minded.
"What's up Danny?" She asks sitting down beside me and helping herself to the sandwiches.
"I'm good. Ready to go?" I ask.
"Just a moment" she replied and helped herself to more food and glups down my entire glass of  chocolate milk.
"Careful Gina or you're gonna choke" I warn her and pretty soon she starts to choke.
My dad hands her a glass of water while my mum rubs her back.
"Take it easy baby girl. I don't want an angry birds couple showing up on my doorstep because their daughter choked at my dinning table" my dad says and we all laugh.
"If you're hungry, I can pack an extra lunchbox for you" my mum volunteers and orders Rhea to do it.
"Thank you so much Mrs. Black".
Georgina thanks her but still goes back to stuffing her face with food.

Later we make our way to my car, a sixteenth birthday present from my parents.
Parked close to the curb, Sam my mum's driver emerges from a bright blue convertible car and throws the keys to me and I catch it in the air.
"Morning Miss" he greets me.
"Morning Sam, how was your night?"
He smiles "I slept like a baby, thanks for asking. I gave the pretty lady a wash today".
He was referring to my car which I named Jasmine.
"Thank you so much" I said getting in.
"I still can't believe you gave your car a name. I mean who does that?" Georgina asks rolling her eyes.
"I do"
"That's why you're the weirdest person in the universe"
"And you are the weirdest person's friend" I reply.
"Uuugghhh!!!, Why do I always lose in an argument with you?"
"Because you didn't stand a chance" I start the car and drive slowly towards the automatic gates that slide open to let me out.
Remind me why your not driving your own car to school Gina?" I asked eyes on the road.
" Because my car broke down and yours happened to be the closest, free ride I could get".
"Not true, there's the school bus" I suggest.
She looks at me.
"I can't believe you're saying that right now!!. You know how I hate the school bus with people sweating and talking and ugh!!" She makes a face then gets out the lunch box my mum Packed and began to eat it.
"Gina that's for lunch time"
"What are you, my mum?" She replies with her mouth full.
We get to a red light and I stop the car.
I wasn't perfect yet so I drove slowly to avoid hitting somebody but when the light turned green I hear shouts from other drivers because I was taking too long.
"Move already slowpoke" Gina urges me with her mouth still full and I step on the pedal.
Suddenly a school bus moves on from the other lane and my eyes immediately connect with a familiar face.
Me. That's me?
I'm reminded of the dreams I had and suddenly I lose my mind as I step on the pedal and the car starts flying after the bus.
Gina surprised, hits her head on the dashboard and her lunch flies out the window.
"Jordan Black!!!" She yells
"What the hell?"
I chase the bus but loses it in traffic.
I parked at the side of the road to think, breathing heavily.
What just happened?
The girl I saw proves that I'm not crazy.
Somewhere out there, is a person that looks like me.
My dreams meant something after all.
"Jordan!!" Gina yells and I turn to look at her surprised.
I forgot she was in the car with me.
She was turning red in anger and her forehead was dripping red with blood.
Oh no!!.
"What the hell was that?!" She asks.
"Gina are you okay?!!, I'm so sorry I forgot you were here with me" I apologize.
"Are you kidding me?!!. What made you speed up like that? Are you trying to kill me?"
"I'm sorry Gina, I'll take you to the hospital right now".
"Next time I pitch a ride with you remind me what happened last time so I won't get into a fucking car with you" she yells.
"I'm so sorry" I start the car and drive away slowly.
Behind a police officer follows on a motorcycle and I get a parking/ speeding ticket.
School was cancelled for the rest of the day.