Pyeta (19)

Months had passed and the oil company was pressuring us to move. Things were getting rough. A smaller village had burned and time was running out. Arthur came and went helping the tribe whenever he could.

Eagle Flies and Pyeta went to scare the army away. They arrested Eagle Flies and placed in the fort jailhouse. I couldn't help but worry now my children had turned 1 and Arthur actually came to see them. I could see him looking sick. He had lost weight and he was pale.

"Arthur, I hate that your sick," I said.

"I know," he said. "When the kids lay down I want to talk to you."

"Alright," I said. "Do you want ro help?"

"I don't want them to get sick," Arthur said.

I nodded and laid them down for their nap. I walked back out and sat down across from Arthur. "I know Charles spoke to you," he said.

"Yeah," I said.

"I'm going to get John out, tomorrow. I don't have much time left and I wanted you to know when the time comes and Charles knocks you have my blessing. He cares a great deal for you and the twins. I couldn't ask for a better man to love you. He will treat you right," Arthur said.

"Arthur, please don't say goodbye," I said.

"That exactly what this is Lizzy. It's over for me. I have to see this through. I promise I'll get John out," he said.

"Arthur you have always been the love of my life, even after everything. I have never loved anyone like I love you," I said as tears rolled down my face.

"No don't cry for me. I'm paying for my sins," he said wiping my tears.

"I miss you," I said laying my head on his chest. "You will be missed."

"I know but I'll watch over you," he said and reached in his satchel. "Take this."
He pulled out a stack of cash. "I know Hosea sent you what he had saved over the years. I don't have nearly that much but I know what I have will help you out."

"Arthur this won't replace you," I said.

"I know it won't but you will know I did love you and I will continue to love you beyond my last breath," he said.

I kissed him one last kiss. "I love you," I said.  He held me taking a deep breath. I cried sobbing hard in his arms.

He soon let go and kissed my forehead before walking out. The next couple weeks was hell on earth. Pyeta was killed. Arthur brought Eagle Flies back and he died in my grandfather's arms. Charles came to help us move to Canada.

Charles had gotten word Arthur gave his life to make sure John made it out alive back to Abigail. "Take me with you Charles," I said. "I need to say goodbye."

Charles nodded and we rode in silence. When we reached him it had been clear he had been dead about a week. I placed his head in my lap and ran my fingers through his hair.  I cried and Charles dug a hole. Together we said goodbye. We covered his grave and placed a stone and flowers on it.

Charles rode back me back to Annesburg. "I will come looking for you soon," he said.

I kissed his cheek and he held my hand. "I will find you," he said.