wedding (22)

I dressed and Abigail did my hair. "How did I get so lucky to have two loves in my life?" I asked out loud to myself.

"Charles loved you from the start Belle. That's why he chose to ride with Dutch because of you. He once told Arthur that before he knew you and Arthur were sweet on each other. I think that is what pushed Arthur into showing you how he felt," Abigail said.

"I never knew," I said. "I know in those last months being away he didn't mind Charles being with us," I said.

"Because he knew Charles would take care of you and protect you like he would when he couldn't be there," Saddie told me.

I slid into the dress Charles had picked out of me. I smiled. "I'm finally getting married," I said. "Abigail I know we have had our ups and downs in the past but I'm glad you love my brother."

"I do," she said curling my hair. "I'm glad we are gonna be sisters."

Saddie did my makeup which was only a little blush and lipstick. I looked in the mirror when it was finished. I couldn't help but feel like Arthur was here somehow. I felt a tear well up in my eye.

"None of that today is a happy day," Saddie said.

Abigail wore a blue dress. Saddie actually wore a pink dress. "Don't say nothing. I'm only wearing this until the wedding is over," she said.

We all laughed. I hugged Saddie. "Thank you Saddie. For helping with John and Abigail and Jack when I couldn't. You helped keep my family together and that means the world to me," I said.

"I'm glad I could help," she said.

We walked out and to my surprise the yard was filled with people. Marybeth, Tilly and even Mr Pearson was there. Some of the tribe and Grandfather was there. I loved each of these people. Grandfather stood in front of the crowd. "It is time," he said. Everyone gathered.

Uncle came up from behind us.  "May I ladies?" He asked.

Abigail took his right arm and I took his left.
He walked us toward our men. John looked handsome in his suit but I couldn't tear my eyes away from Charles. He wore black pants a white button up and a cream tie to match the dress he had picked out for me.

A breeze blew and nobody seemed to notice  but me. I heard in the wind, "I'm proud of you." I knew it was Hosea speaking to me.

I had lost so much but here I was about to gain a man I had secretly loved for years. I was just to stubborn to admit it. My eyes met his and I wanted to race into his arms right in that very second.

Soon uncle had given us away to our men. I grabbed Charles' hand. "You are beautiful today," he said. "I can't wait to call you my wife."

Grandfather did the traditional wedding vows and finally I got to kiss my husband. Charles wrapped one arm around my waist and the other hand he placed behind my head. His lips met min in a slow sensual kiss. 

I was happy. I knew my family was safe. The people I loved safe to live their lives the way we wanted. I knew we were truly free.

We broke away and the crowd cheered. Charles lead me away to the dance floor he and John had built for us to dance on. God this man, he was amazing. We danced, and Grandfather cut in.

"Standing Rock, I see how happy you are,"he said.

"I really am Grandfather," I said.

"I want you and Charles to take over the tribe. I know you can do it," he said.

"I will have to talk to Charles," I said.

"Very well," he said. I looked at Charles holding the twins one in each arm. It was amazing to see him in that fatherly role. I hoped one day soon I would give him a child of his own. Soon drinks and refreshments were served and we got to telling stories. Some of the old days with the gang. Some new stories thrown in.

Charles walked over and pulled me aside. "Are you ready Mrs Smith?" He asked.

"For what?" I asked.

"Our little honey moon," he said. "Tilly, Marybeth and Saddie are gonna stay for a couple weeks to watch the kids so we can have some time alone. I rented us a room in Blackwater."

"You don't have to ask me twice," I said.

We slipped away with a smile and nod to Saddie. "Have fun you two," she yelled and everyone clapped as Charles helped me climb on the back of his horse.

He got on and we rode away. When we got there we barely made it to the room before we were all over each other. This was a bittersweet moment. We had done somethings but he wanted to wait to go all the way until after the wedding.

"Help me with these buttons" I said.

Charles slowly unbuttoned the dress kissing his way down my back with every button he had undone. He raised up when he was finished and pushed the shoulders of the dress down. He then grabbed the sleeves and pulled them off letting the dress fall to the floor.

Even with the few scars I had, from our days in the gang. He seemed to love. I took off his shirt and kissed his hard muscled chest. We made love a few times that night. Never leaving the room for two weeks except to eat. Then we were right back in the room making love again.

The time flew by and it was time to leave. We rode back to Beachers hope. The kids were excited when we made it back.

"Momma, aunt Tilly is teaching us to write," Belle said.

"Thank you," I told Tilly and hugged her.

"It was no problem," she said. "So tell me everything."

I laughed as Marybeth joined in. "It's good to see you two haven't changed one bit," I said.

"It was amazing," I said. "We only left the room to eat. We've both seen Blackwater so it didn't matter. We just wanted each other."

"No we needed each other," Charles said, wrapping his arm around me.