~Chapter 4~

Killua was blinking down at the well, which he'd been drawn to by the sound of shouting, sobbing, and drunken singing. Inside were 4 people. One of them drunk and singing loudly, one of them crying, and two others fighting. The one sobbing was Baily, one of the two fighting was Menchi, and he didn't recognize the others. Killua lowered the rope down and peeked over the edge, tilting his head slightly. The pink haired woman who was drunk noticed it first. "hey look. A rope from the heavenss" she slurred. They all glanced up, and Menchi grinned. "Oh hey Killua" the man down there blinked. "who's he?" Menchi sighed. "some kid who lost his memory, he's new here" she smiled up at him with a chuckle. "That's my boy"

A few minutes later everyone was out of the well, and Baily was on the floor gripping to his leg, crying and thanking him. "Thank you thank you thank you! I thought I was gonna die!" she stood up and placed her hands on his shoulders. "Please- please forgive me for hitting you in the back of the head with an axe blunt yesterday. I- uh- Killua was it?" Killua nodded, a bit startled at the sudden close proximity. "f-for....forgive...yes....?" the older male shoved Baily out of the way. "Out of the way Baily" the blonde male smiled at him. "thanks sweetheart. Sorry you had to see Ava in that state. I promise you she's a good woman she's just-", "I'm so saddd" Ava whined, sagging against a wall drunkenly. "Upset..." the male continued. Killua tilted his head. "why?" he sighed. "well...a lot of the guards failed to protect our previous lord so she's not very..." Menchi continued. "oh just say it. she feels responsible so she took up drinking" the blonde male bit his lip. "well yeah but...it's still not an excuse. She knows not to act like an idiot over her lord" he sighed. "she's a great guard when she's sober"

He turned to Killua. "anyways thanks again. The name's Mal by the way" he scooped up Ava, kissing her forehead and walking away. "let's go get you some rest" Ava's eyes brightened. "Mal! Your alive!" Mal chuckled. "Yes, yes I am. But you're so embarrassing I wish I wasn't sometimes. Let's go honey" Killua watched them leave. "wasn't expecting you to come and help us out like that" Menchi said with a grin. "to be honest, people these days aint that kind" Killua blinked. "They're not...?" Menchi shook her head. "unless you know them personally, heh" Killua was confused. "but...your kind" Menchi snorted. "I'm only kind because it gets me places. hah" she chuckled. "anyways how was your stay with Eden?" Killua thought for a moment. "it was nice" Menchi smiled. "that's good to hear-", "I slept on the floor" A tick mark grew on Menchi's forehead. "well" she said, sounding a bit irritated. "I'll have to have a few words with that lovely man about being hospitable"

Killua had come to realize that when she said 'lovely' and she was talking about Eden, it usually was a bad thing somehow "anyways I outta go dry off, then I'll go find Netero" Killua nodded. "Mm. did something happen?" she sounded a little...worried. Menchi blinked. "Hm? Oh. I just haven't...seen him since sunset yesterday and I'm pretty worried about him. He was gonna stay at my place for the night but..." she trailed off, then chuckled. "ah its nothing, but man, I need to get these clothes dry. Pardon me" Menchi turned, then walked away. Killua couldn't help the feeling that she was hiding something. She suddenly turned to look at him over her shoulder. "oh, and don't let anyone push you around alright? Especially Eden" then she turned around again and walked away.

Suddenly Baily leapt to her feet. "dammit-" Killua blinked, a bit startled. "Huh-?" Baily whined. "I was supposed to have the lord's house taken down by noon, I won't be able to make it in time" she hung her head. "aw man, Cerulean's gonna be so pissed..." Killua tilted his head. "Your...taking down a house?" Baily sighed. "Well- it's not the entire house, just the one that burned. Remember I was taking it down yesterday while you were talking to Cerulean?" she rubbed the back of her head. "I have to get the top floor done at least, but still! I gotta do it as soon as possible!" Baily turned and grabbed her hammer, starting to walk off. Killua hummed softly. "Can...I help?" Baily paused, then turned to look with a confused expression. "H-Huh!?"

Killua grabbed a hammer, then looked at her. "Can I help...take down the thing? That you need?" Baily teared up a bit. "R-Really...? You mean it?" Killua was confused as to why she was crying, but she looked happy. Killua nodded. "Mhm" Baily started crying and ran over and hugged him. "Wahhh nobody ever helps me! Thank you!" Baily let go. "come on, let's go!" she started running in a direction, so killua followed. They got to the house and it was very burned and run down, not to mention half destroyed. Baily smiled, really happy, "ok you take down that half, I take down this one" Killua nodded, then walked over and started hitting with his hammer. After a few minutes he'd made little progress. "baily...?"

Baily glanced over from her work. "yeah?" Killua bit his lip. "Am I...doing it right?" Baily hummed, glancing at his work. Killua looked at her. "Did I do a good job..?" Baily hesitated, humming some more. "mmmm....no, not at all" Killua frowned. "oh.." Baily sighed and walked over. "Here, its more like this" he hammered the wall some, then it snapped and fell. Killua blinked. "oh" baily grinned at him. "you have to target the support beams, and don't go from the outside, it'll take way too long" Killua nodded. "ok" he turned and started hammering again, then his eyes brightened when it started working. Baily went back to work. "Have you ever done something like this before?"

Killua was silent for a moment. Have I..? "I don't know.." he said honestly. Baily huffed. "You don't know? Lucky. I have to do stuff like this all the time" she grumbled. "and usually nobody helps me...-" there was a thud as some wood hit the ground, Killua had broken off a decent chunk. Baily smiled. "Oh hey, you did it" Killua turned and smiled, laughing a little. Baily giggled. "You still didn't do a very good job but you did it" Killua smiled more. "thanks" Baily laughed a bit. "that's enough for now, I gotta fix the fence from the...werewolf Tess supposedly saw" she started to walk away. He's doing chores again? Alone? "oh, can I help?" he asked, starting to follow. Baily paused, then her eyes shimmered. Killua smiled a little. "Of course!"

Killua and Baily spent the next ten minutes rebuilding a fence, Killua had no idea what he was doing but he thought he was doing pretty well, hammering nails in and such. The sound of hammers hitting nail and wood echoed around them. Killua was actually enjoying himself, he found that he enjoyed helping people. Baily suddenly spoke. "this is the fastest I've finished a fence, normally it takes half day" she said, sounding proud. Killua glanced over, "did I do it right?" Baily glanced over, then was obviously trying not to make a face. "well...you know...looks aren't everything" she hit it with her hammer, then blinked. "wow, its actually pretty well built, it's just really ugly" Killua blinked. "Huh?" Baily cleared her throat. "N-Nothing-" she laughed nervously. "would ya look at that, there's a nail sticking out" Killua glanced down, and there was. He smiled. "I can get that"

Baily huffed. "Nonsense, let me-" she hammered the nail, but ended up accidently hammering her finger instead. "O-Ow!!" Killua's eyes widened. He was startled by the cry of pain, and he didn't know what to do. Baily kept whining, "Owwww-" Killua bit his lip. "A-Are you ok!?" Baily groaned. "Gah, that's what I get for not looking! Oh Rune it hurts so much-" Killua's breath picked up a bit. Please....stop....im supposed to... Killua grabbed the hammer, then hit his own hand with it. Baily blinked, "what the-?" Killua bit his lip. "don't cry! See? I did too, so we're even" Baily looked confused. "why did you...?" Killua took a step forward, holding his hand out. "see, I hurt too. So...so you don't have to cry anymore..."

1418 words 

To be continued...

Hey shippers! i managed to cobble together enough motivation to do like 5 paragraphs, i hope to continue this and do more ^^