Chapter 50

Izzy:

We impatiently await their return and can hardly contain our tension when they return.
"There you are.", Jace jumps up and hurries to his family and Chiara can't hold back either. While they enjoy their reunion I look at Jocelyn. She looks pretty exhausted and also seems exhausted. Next to her is Jonathan, who seems to have been ordered and not picked up. I give him an inconspicuous look. He doesn't seem bothered that nobody is happy about his return. He just stands there and looks bored. I quickly turn away before he catches me staring.Simon, standing staggered behind me, draws in a sharp breath.I don't have to turn to know he's been watching me.

Luke:

I throw the pen away in frustration. I've been sitting at my desk for hours just trying to get anything out of Maia, but without much success. She is as silent as the grave and has banished all emotion from her face. If only I knew why she acted so completely inappropriately! I'm pretty sure there's a reason for that. Because she has changed completely. When I got to know her and accepted her into the pack, she was very empathetic and understanding. The knock on my office door pulls me out of my thoughts.
"Come in!" I call through the closed door. As soon as it opens, I wince. Clary, Jace, Chiara, Janik and Jocelyn are standing in front of me. Without letting them speak, I pull them into a stormy hug.
"I missed you so much," I say. She brushes away a silent tear and sinks deeper into my arms.
"Where did you find her?" I ask after breaking away from my wife.
"Mum followed us to another dimension with Jonathan. Before we could get caught," says Janik. I look at him.
"Dad, can you do me a favor?" my daughter asks. I exchange a look with her mother. I finally agree.

Maya:

I am in a light sleep when my cell door was opened. The police drag me up and put me back in an interrogation room. Again I can wait filled hours to get company. But I wince at the sight of my company. Clary sits in front. She has her red hair pinned up in a messy knot. I look at her hatefully.
"What are you doing here?" I literally spit the words at her feet. But just looks at me fearlessly. She looks at me.
"You know what? I really appreciated you, but you really disappointed me!", she says only.
"What do you really want?" I ask sharply. If she wants to torture me, then please do better. Or does she want something else?
"All I want is some answers." So please! The cat's out of the bag!
"And what do you want to know now?"
"Why did you do all this?"
"What have I done? Oh, you mean the kidnappings," I say, amused. But she leans back and looks at me. Suddenly, a pitying expression crosses her face.
"You miss Jordan. And because you couldn't get it back, you wanted to make the very people responsible pay the debt," she says. But I don't say anything to that. And that gives her the reassurance she needed.
"And even if it's true, what do you want to do now?" I retort defiantly. She just gives me a sad smile.
"I really liked you," she says again. And then she gets up. I'm sitting here, all alone and knowing I've done something very wrong. Now I've even pissed off Clary I'm being taken back to my cell. And I'm not surprised Luke doesn't show up. I have to stay here until I'm brought before the judge. And the Council will probably have a hand, too. But that's totally fine with me never mind I will stay here and wait.