CHAPTER 10

"Tell me, how did it go? What did he say?"
My mum almost catching up with me as I walked up the stairs to my room,  flooded my ears with numerous questions at once.

"Mummy can we not talk about this now. I need to rest, I beg you", I calmly stated.

"You've been saying this right from when we were in the car, on our way home, now we're home and you're still acting rigid here.  What exactly is the matter with you?", She frowned at me, her voice now acrid.

I simply ignored her and walked into my room, heaved a sigh of relief as soon as I set my legs free from the constraint my block heels provided and settled to sit on my bed, while she stood at the entrance staring at me with a sad frown.
She sighed and came over to me.

"Okay, I'm sorry for yelling, but would you just talk to me, please? Your expression at Prescott's house was something I could not exactly make out but I could tell all wasn't very well".

"Did he say anything hurtful?", She asked softly.

"What do you think? Were you really expecting something good to come from that dinner?", I kissed my teeth.

"But Kenneth looked all cool throughout today, he didn't seem like you both had any issues", she shrugged and rolled her eyes slightly.

"Very apparent you fell for that", I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Ohh, I should be suspecting some foul play then, isn't it?", She widened her eyes, feigning surprise.

"Really mummy?",
"Should you be more concerned about him or your own daughter?" My eyebrows furrowed intently at her.

My eyes caught my father looking through the little space offered by the half closed door.

"I guess I'm free to come in", I heard him say from outside, as he gently opened the door to get in.

"I'm really happy about today you know, you and Kenneth finally meeting each other", he relaxed on a chair and grinned like a young boy.
I sneered as I gave a mocking nod and stared blankly at a wall opposite me.

"He'd be coming to T.C Corporations in a few weeks so that you both can commence work on the project."

"Excuse me?", I scrunched up my face in shock.

"I said you and Kenneth would be working on the project".

"What the...!", I held myself back from cussing.

"C'mon, it's supposed to be a partnership. Pardon me for not telling you initially but it's not just a contract Prescott's company is awarding to our company, it's more like they want a partnership with us for a project, which I think would really be of good for us as an individual organization as it would mean more recognition, and more recognition equals more profit for our company, you know", he leaned forward and winked.

"So, Kenneth would be working for his father's company on the project."

"Have I not received enough humiliation daddy?", I said in a heavy tone.

"What humiliation Dara?". My father lifted an eyebrow as he leaned back in the chair.

"Look, stop making things up just because you don't like Kenneth. How many times do I have to tell you to just give it time?". He hissed and shook his head.
"Well...there was no love at first sight like I hoped it would turn out but that doesn't mean the relationship would notwork out", he frowned.

"And stop making me feel like a bad person for wanting my only daughter to marry into a reputable family", he added.

"Or wanting my grandchildren to have the best of life", he calmly added with a pout on his lips.