Chapter 4

As he was cooking, there were footsteps outside the front door to which the latch clicked, to which he froze. He had been working on the soup and lost track of time as Samidare, a ten-year-old boy, and Satsuki, a six year old girl, came in through the front door. Both children stared at him as Tokoyami stared back with a panicked expression.

"I... uh... hello," Tokoyami finally said. "My name is Fumikage Tokoyami. You two must be Samidare and Satsuki."

Samidare stared with folded arms as he eyed Tokoyami. After a minute of silent judgment, he opened his mouth. "Why are you a bird?" He asked.

Tokoyami almost fell at that statement as he mouth was slightly opened. "I-I...just am?" He questioned the statement coming out of his mouth.

"Where is Tsu? Ribbit." Satsuki asked as she threw down her backpack and slipped off her shoes.

"She is sleeping right now." Tokoyami explained.

The small girl frowned. "Mom called and said she isn't well. I want to try and make her feel better." She said.

"You dummy. You can't make her feel better, ribbit. She's in heat." Samidare said as he rolled his eyes at his sister. "Only an alpha can help. That's why he's here." He said as he pointed to Tokoyami.

Satsuki places a finger to her chin. "So only he gets to make sissy better?" She asked.

"It's all something to do with pheromones and junk. So, he is here until mom gets home." Samidare placed his fists on his hip and turned to Tokoyami. "Just because you're an alpha doesn't mean you get to boss us around though. If you think you can do anything mean to my sister, then you got another thing coming." He said.

Tokoyami looked at him and sighed as he stirred the soup he was making. "I would never harm anyone. Not only does that go against the ethics of a hero, but what kind of alpha would want to hurt their omega?" He said.

Samidare raised an eyebrow. "Ribbit. Are you saying Tsu is your omega?"

Tokoyami nodded. "Correct."

The ten-year-old pulled out his homework from his bag and sat down at the living room table on a cushion. Twenty minutes passed as the two younger siblings worked on their homework as Samidare closed his books. "So, mom wasn't lying that Tsu had found her soulmate." He said

"Why would mom lie?" Satsuki asked as she joined her brother at the table with her own small stack of papers.

Samidare shrugged. "I don't know." He turned to Tokoyami. "So, what are you going to do now?" He asked.

"I'm not sure," Tokoyami admitted. "But I do know I will be here until your parents return tomorrow afternoon. After that I'm not sure." He said

"You aren't going to stay until sissy is better?" Satsuki asked.

Tokoyami blushed as the feathers on the back of his head puffed out while Dark Shadow laughed on the inside. "That kid doesn't even realize what she is asking!"

Tokoyami cursed at Dark Shadow before speaking. "That's up to your parents. I'd be happy to stay longer, but that would be a large step." He said.

"Yeah, mom and dad would want to meet Tsu's alpha before he can stay over for a while," Samidare said before redirecting his attention to Tokoyami. "What are you making?" He asked.

"Dinner." Tokoyami stated.

"Is it for us?" Satsuki asked.

"What is it?" Samidare asked.

"Beef and Rice noodle soup." Tokoyami said.

Both siblings looked at each other. "Soup?"

"Yes. Tsu is in heat and will need plenty of iron, protein, and sodium. This meal contains all three plus is something that can be made easily for multiple people to eat." Tokoyami checked the soup as it was actually almost ready.