The Putrefaction

"A DISEASE OR AN ORCHESTRATED ATTEMPT TO RUIN NATIONS?"

"The countryside is plagued by the outbreak of an unknown disease that is killing hundreds of cattle. The disease, which is known to be caused by a virus is exterminating cows and pigs. Scientists are baffled by the outbreak. The International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) has named it ATHENA D.", the reporter stoically read the news with the headline beaming on the top of the television scream.

"What is Athena? Papa?", Kaya asked Michael while playing with her food.

Michael was listening to the news while having bacon and pancake for breakfast. At first, Michael ignored Kaya's question.

"What is it?", Kaya continued nagging.

"If you finish your breakfast, I will tell you.", Michael said and winked at Rosie.

Rosie was paying no attention to the news. She was sipping coffee while reading a book.

"The disease is turning animals hostile. They are becoming more and more violent with time. It is certainly affecting their brains. It is believed that by the end of the seventh day, the brain completely stops performing and the cattle dies. The time of death may vary dependent on the cattle's immune system. One of the most striking features of the disease is that after being brain dead, almost instantly the body starts rotting as if it has been dead for days. The dairy industry is most affected by the outbreak. Scientists are working day and night for a vaccine that cures the disease. The authorities are urging people not to panic...", the report went on.

"I have finished my breakfast papa.", said Kaya. Michael was completely absorbed in the report.

"MICHAEL!", Rosie said impatiently.

"Yeah. I'm so sorry.", Michael said while perspiring.

"Are you okay?", Rosie asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay. It's just that the outbreak may affect the Royal Circus as well. The animals may fall sick and I might lose my job.", Michael told Rosie anxiously.

"You are certainly overthinking it. They are saying that only the cows and pigs are being affected. It may lead to inflation but you won't lose your job. So, don't worry about it.", Rosie said. Michael instantly felt relieved. Rosie's kind words always calmed Michael down, no matter how anxious he was.

Rosie was calming Michael down from the coffee table while Michael was perspiring heavily on the couch. Michael felt overwhelmed by the support Rosie always gave him.

"Thank you, babe.", Michael uttered while turning towards the coffee table. To his surprise, Rosie wasn't there. He turned towards the Television and got up. Even the television was switched off. Then he saw Kaya playing with the remote.

"She must have switched it off!", Michael said to himself.

"Did you see your mama?", Michael asked Kaya gently.

"Yes, she went upstairs to get your tie 5 minutes ago.", Kaya replied while playing with the remote.

"5 minutes ago? How is that even possible? She was just here sipping coffee!", Michael was perplexed.

"Maybe Kaya is confused about the time. She is a little girl. She doesn't know how to quantify time properly. It was a mistake on her part.", Michael felt relaxed.

"Are you ready? Are you going to drop Kaya to School?", Rosie asked Michael.

"Yes!" Michael paused for a moment to ask her something. He intended to know the time Rosie went upstairs but Michael refrained himself.

"Are you okay?", Rosie asked while kissing Michael on the cheeks.

"Yes. I'm okay. Take care of yourself." Michael said while taking Kaya into his arms.

"Bye!", Rosie said and Michael reciprocated.

The phone began vibrating. She didn't pick up the call until Michael was gone. As soon as Michael left, she felt liberated. Samuel was calling her.

"Hello? We need to talk.", Rosie said impatiently.