Chapter 2

Silas Pov:

"I'm not fucking with Mr. Smith yo. He got a slick ass mouth" Giovanni said, his mouth full of the beef patty and cheese he had just gotten from the store.

"Bro, your mouth just as slick. That's probably why he don't like your ass G" Alijah, one of the twins shouted.

We were walking home from school and were headed to the diner where my mother worked. Everyday was a different day during the week, so we would switch between the diner, Kaden's house, the park where we play football, or my grandfather's restaurant. There was also a handful of times where we would go to mines or the twins house and once in a while we would find ourselves at LJ's house. But the weekend was where we spent the most time at Aaron and Alijah's house.

Walking the rest of the way consisted of debates, talks of girls, and the plans for our annual camping trip. I felt the buzzing of my phone and pulled it out the pocket of my gray nike sweats. My dad was calling. Slowing my pace from my friends I picked up the phone when they were a few feet ahead of me. I listened while the automated message spoke and said yes after she asked if I accept the call.

"Achilles, how you been. I tried calling yesterday but no answer" my father's voice filled my ears. I stopped walking, kicking a rock that was in front of me.

"My bad, I was with yaya and papu, we were last minute school shopping for Gaia since she started college not that long ago"

"How's yaya" he asked. Yaya was my grandmother, and papu was my grandfather. They were born and raised in Greece.

"Yaya doing good, so is Papu" I told him. My father sucked his teeth, "You know that old man don't like me Achilles" I hated that he called me that.

"Come on dad chill on papu, he just don't like the shit you do" I said brushing off the nickname. I could easily tell him I hate that nickname just as much as I'm starting to hate him but I never do because he tries and I feel like that has to count for something.

My parents met in high school. He was a senior and she was a sophomore. My dad had moved from Cali and was new and my mother was basically a distraction for him. Somewhere along the line they winded up falling in love, typical shit. Except for the the fact that she got pregnant in high school, with my older sister Gaia, and my dad broke up with her. He told her his life was already too fucked up to deal with a baby. He never did come around until after she was born. They tried working it out but were on and off for a few years before he got locked up.

That was before she found she was pregnant with me. The only relationship I have with my dad was over the phone, I've only ever seen him a hand full of times.

"You hearing me Achilles ?"

I nodded, as if he could see me, "Yeah dad. I hear you but look I gotta go. I'm working in the restaurant tonight. Gotta get some sleep before my shift" I lied.

"Yooooo Silas !" Aaron yelled.

"What you over there doing on the phone, LETS GO WE HUNGRY" Rory yelled next.

"Oh ok. Ima try to call you tomorrow then, hopefully Gaia will speak to me too and maybe your moms" hearing the hopefulness in his voice didn't make me feel bad like it used to.

"Yeah.. maybe" I took the phone from my ear and tapped end. There wasn't a chance she would talk to him, Gaia treated him like he didn't exist. Papu was her father. And as for my mother, they had too much bad blood.

Lennox POV:

"So how's June?" I asked Silas on our way home. We lived in the same direction, a few blocks away from each other.