Ch.20: Come Outside (RoWen)

It has been three days since Wendy joined, but she keeps herself away from us all. It's like she's afraid to get closer.

Ever since Team Natsu brought her to Fairy Tail, she's been by her lonesome, going out of her way to distance herself from the rest of us.

We all understood what was wrong, after all, she just realized that all of her life has been a lie, that everyone she thought was her family had been a lie. They had all disappeared right in front of her after all.

We just wanted to let her know that we were there for her as soon as she would open up to us, but... we all knew what it felt like to loose someone, so we respected her space.

I know she wants to talk to us, I know she wanted to be a part of our family, I could see it in her eyes whenever she watched us, but I think that she was just too scared that we would leave too, that she would finally be all alone again.

In Romeo and Juliet, I've always wondered how painful it was for Juliet who was always waiting inside, who always wished that she could be let free and be with Romeo but never could. Wendy was like that Juliet.

That's why that one day, I spoke to her.

She looked at me, surprised and like a fragile piece of china (beautiful, but so easily shattered), and at that moment, I felt a strong urge to protect her from anything that could ever harm her. That might be the reason my heart was thumping so fast.

She tried so hard to ignore me, but I kept talking to her, a big smile always on my face. It was so hard to get her to talk to me, and my dad even told me that it would be painful if I kept trying, but I knew I couldn't give up on her.

Then she smiled.

One day when I was telling jokes to her, her barriers slipped up, and she cracked a smile. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever witnessed, and my heart beat raced faster than it ever had before.

Of course, the smile didn't last for long, and she quickly covered it up. That didn't erase the image from my mind though, and I couldn't help it.

I fell in love.

She didn't open up to me yet, but I hope that one day she will. Until then, I'll be her own Romeo, and no matter what happens, I'll always be there for her.

Is it really more painful for the person waiting inside, watching and wishing to be let free, or for the person outside who is waiting for them?