ARC III-ACT X

It terrified you to the core, the idea that the thing beside you was not human and not familiar. It was something possibly stronger than any person in the room right now and had intelligence. Enough intelligence to appear to you and the others as the man held so dearly close to your hearts - to fool you all until the perfect moment for its ulterior motive.

You didn't dare turn - if this was the moment you'd die then you'd rather it be done with your eyes shut tightly like a child watching a scary movie scene. Pictures of your bloody death flashed your mind, newspapers posting articles about the mysterious murder.

The pillars grasped the situation in front of them much faster than Tanjiro and his companions did, jumping to their feet in defensive stances and reaching for the place where their weapons rest.

Except this time their katanas were nowhere to be found.

"Fuck!" Sanemi screeched, eyes wide in panic. A demon was capable of being killed without nichirin blade but it was hectic work and a pain in the ass.

The sun has set long ago so that was out of the question. Brute force to the head was the next best choice but if normal people in their reality reacted so wrongly to violence towards something they did not understand such as demons themselves, who knows what would happen if they bashed the head in when you lived in such a tight knit community space.

What was once Kagaya's body twisted upwards, long and bending in directions it shouldn't naturally. The cracking of bones could be heard and blood spilled from its open mouth, crooked yellowing teeth staining with dark red.

"Eaurgh!" ...it... groaned, twisted fingers pulling into long nails. In the end it resembled more of a worm with human features.

Shinobu frowned, glaring up at the creature with a poisonous glint. "What's the plan? Anyone?"

Scoffing, Tengen cracked his knuckles. "Survive." Was all he said before he burst forward, alerting the demon as they moved back in preparation of a battle.

However, much to everyone's surprise (majorly yours) he wrapped one strong arm around your torso and was quick to hoist you over his shoulder, taking not a second longer to rush out the door and into the dark hallways of your complex. Motion censored lights flickered on under the movement of the man with the author on his shoulder but never seemed to be quick enough, turning on maybe three or four seconds after he zoomed past them.

On his shoulder you struggled to comprehend the situation. Your body rocked and jumped with each long stride he took but no matter how hard you tried to crane your head up, his movements would only cause your body to fall sack against his back. Shouts of commands and warnings could be heard along a weird slushing of wet skin slapping the tile floor and cement walls. A screech every few seconds before a thump and then repeat.

It was a struggle for the sound Hashira to keep his cool in that moment, he couldn't turn to check on his comrades because it was unfamiliar land he was running through. Stairs, doors and dead ends were at every unexpected turn so he had to really focus to make sure he didn't trap you and himself in a spot where they'd have to fight hand and fist against a seemingly much stronger and agile demon.

This was obviously no normal demon either. It's stench reeked of rotting flesh and dried blood, it poisoned his nostrils and he couldn't ignore the nightmare fuel breathing of the demon, but how come he couldn't notice that before? Obviously this demon had a blood art that allowed it to camouflage itself from humans, even the most skilled slayers, and then reform itself into a new person - perhaps it could even do the same but with items.

A big leap brought him down half a flight of stairs and then another introduced him to level three of the complex. With the momentum his body hit the railing overlooking the street, welcoming him with a view of a thin tree right below him resting beside a lonely side walk. He stopped, turning to look up the stairs he just came from to hear the demon and shouts of his colleges.