Chapter [1]

Most people were mortified of the one and only Vance Hopper. But, Bruce Yamada was lucky to have no clue who the boy was.

Well of course until October 1st, 1978 at around 5 pm.

As many people knew you don't fuck with Vance while he's playing pinball. Especially when he's about to beat his high score.

But alas every once in a while there is one kid who has to screw it up.

Bruce had been picked on by Oliver McKenny for quite some time, about a year by this point. It had been about a week since an incident with McKenny until today.

It was a normal day for Yamada at Grab n' Go. He was getting him a drink and chips since he had a little money left to use.

Bruce wasn't paying much attention until his name was called by the agitating familiar voice.

He turned to see Oliver standing behind him with his little crew of friends.

This was the first time McKenny had actually punched or even touched Yamada. Usually it would just be him yelling at him or knocking stuff out his hands.

Keep in mind, they were right next to Vance Hopper who was 10 points away from his high score.

Oliver had punched Bruce quite hard Bruce was pushed into Vance Hopper.

Which ended up making him fall to the side and lose the score.

"FUCK!" Vance screamed as he stood up looking at everyone to find who just made him fall.

He saw Bruce on the floor with a bloody nose.

It also wasn't his fault since the kid just pushed him.

"Oh, why am I not surprised McKenny is in another fight," Vance said staring straight at the boy "Isn't mommy gonna get mad? Sixth fight this week? C'mon man it's only Friday."

Vance looked down at Bruce who was now leaning up against the machine looking at the taller boy with worry in his eyes.

"And why such a innocent kid, what could he have done to you? He tries to befriend everyone." Vance asked placing his hands on his hips and walking towards the boy.

"B-back up Vance" McKinney stuttered out.

"Oh so you're scared of me now," Vance said with a bright smile.

Oliver looked around before he pushed Vance.

This pissed off Vance of course and so he beat the shit out of Oliver.

It was bloody, to say the least.

It lasted for a few minutes before Vance was pulled off by two cops that were outside the store.

As Vance was being dragged away he tried breaking away to finish busting McKennys face in but it didn't work.

Bruce quickly got up and made his way to the blondie.

"Are you ok?" he asked worriedly looking at his bloody knuckles.

"Yea princess, what's it to you," he said looking a little dizzy.

"I'm just worried about you" Bruce answered as the cops sat him in a nearby chair outside.

"Who we gotta call this time," the cops asked looking down at the boy.

"Dad's drunk and passed out on the couch," he said, "don't know where mom is, aunt Kate is probably drunk with some guy from the club, uncle Tony got his phone cut off and I think he's in Ohio for the winter, maw and paw don't ever answer their phone and that's all I can think of so...no one?"

The cops sighed and gave each other a look before turning back to Vance.

"We'll let you off this time," the older one said.

"And next time, and the time after that, and the time—you know you let me off every time," Vance replied with a laugh.

The cop rolled his eyes and looked at the raven-haired boy.

"Can you watch him for us, he's a bit of a trouble maker" the other cop said flashing Bruce a fake smile.

Bruce nodded and looked down at the blonde-haired boy. The cops gave a small wave and walked off to their car.

Bruce turned and looked at Vance excitedly.

"I'm Bruce Yamada, and you must be Vance," Bruce said putting his hand out for the boy to shake.

Vance just stared at his hand before looking up at Bruce.

"Yea, Vance hopper, you never heard of me?" Vance asked with a chuckle looking at the boy with a small smile.

"Sad to say I haven't," Bruce answered placing his hand back into his pockets.

Despite it only being October it was freezing outside. But they live in Colorado, it's not a surprise if it ended up snowing in the middle of July.

Vance shrugged and stood up now basically towering over the boy below him.

Bruce was only about 5'2 while Vance was 6ft.

Vance smiled and ruffled the boy's hair. It was soft.

"I gotta get back inside to try and pass my high score without getting interrupted, wanna come with?" Vance asked glancing through the window of the store.

"Yea of course!" Bruce replied excitedly.

Vance nodded and walked back inside the store with Bruce following close behind.