A Ruined Portrait

'Flossie,I don't know if you recall our first proper sleepover

'Flossie,
I don't know if you recall our first proper sleepover. But all I can clearly see is you sat in that hall, humming away as we talked the night away.
Your Freddie.'

"Flo hurry up, McGonagall is going to have our backsides if you spend any more time in that bathroom." Angelina's voice bounced through the second floor girls bathroom. The two having escape the Great Hall's confinement 'desperate' for the toilet. They had been escorted by the Professor herself who was concerned for all the students. 

It had been a series of rather unfortunate events which had lead to all students camping out in the Great Hall for the night as the teachers searched the castle for any signs of an intruder. And Florence was not enjoying herself, it had been a few hours since they had been cooped into the room, given a sleeping bag and pillow and told to camp it out like some happy jolly summer camp experience. She hated camping, hated most things to do with the outdoors. And therefore, hated even the thought of camping in the Great Hall, not when she had no belief that the intruder was still in the castle wall. After all, nobody would be stupid enough to stick around after they had been caught within the walls. Not when the portraits could move and knew where everyone was at all times. 

"I'm coming Angie, you know I can't mess up my routine." Florence whined back at her best friend. Angelina and her had been best friends from their very first night after having been sorted into the Gryffindor house. The pair having beds next to one another in their dorm. And had been as close as thieves ever since. Florence was a single child and Angelina was as close as she had hoped to have been with any other sibling she had. And therefore, when the girl tutted at her in response Florence could only smile. Everyone knew that her routine could not be messed with greatly. And if she started it late she would be late as everything had to happen and it took as long as it took irregardless of the time she had started. 

"Johnson, Cribbons are you two done in there yet." It would be the voice of their professor and head of house which would begrudgingly drag Florence away from her nightly routine so the pair could return to the safety of the Great Hall. The two walked back behind their professor, almost silently as they pulled faces at one another. The professor waved them back to where they had been sat prior before she left the room to search for the intruder once again. 

Florence dragged Angelina back to the place their friendship group had taken up refuge. The majority of the fifth years from Gryffindor having settled close to one another, a merge of one massive friendship group. They were after all a smaller sorting group compared to other years. There had only been six students sorted into their year and the group were very close. And as the final girl of their friendship group Alicia Spinnet beckoned the pair over Florence found herself smiling. Alicia had been laughing by the point the two sat down on their previously discarded sleeping bags. Angelina rose an eyebrow in question as to what had caused the girl to laugh so boisterously. 

"Oh you should hear the twins' commentary." Alicia laughed as she spoke and Florence fought the urge to roll her eyes at her friends words. She knew that they had a pair of twins in their friendship group, how could she not when their personalities shone so bright. But they should have been treated as the individuals they were. And as a group of friends if they couldn't do that, then were they truly friends. Florence cast her eyes towards George at first, the younger twin who was the tiniest bit shorter than his brother not enough that you could notice unless you were incredibly close. George was also slightly quieter than his brother, often ending the sentence rather than starting it. He seemed content with the words used and his sight was focused on Angelina, who everyone but the girl in question knew he had the worlds biggest crush on. 

Therefore, Florence moved her attention onto the other Weasley Twin who made up their friendship group. Fred Weasley sat on her right side, incredibly close as he monitored the rest of the group around him. Fred was slightly more outspoken than his brother, which in reality wasn't that much considering just how outspoken both twins were. He sat up straighter and was less likely to slouch than his brother was, and Fred gave the better hugs. He had a way of making Florence just feel so at home and comforted with just a single hug that she never wanted anything less. And the longer her attention stayed focused on him, the more he seemed to notice moving to make eye contact with the shorter girl. Fred sent her an overdramatic wink breaking the rather intense eye contact they had created. He moved in slightly so they were even closer as he moved in to whisper. 

"You okay there Flossie, got me thinking you have a staring problem." Fred was teasing as he spoke but his words still caused her to flush a muted pink colour. Florence took a moment to think about what to say in response, there was two options she could take to respond to him. She could deny it, cause herself more embarrassment when she had been so clearly caught. Or she could attempt to turn it onto him. 

"I'm admiring the view Freddie. I'm sure you appreciate that." Florence tried to make her words sound as flirty as she could considering they were whispering. And her words seemed to have not only stunned the boy sat next to her but also have the desired effect as his neck and cheeks took on a similar shade to her own. Florence would be pulled back into the conversation with her friends around her with the deep laughter of Lee Jordan pulling her attention away from what could have been considered the first of many, many private moments to come. 

The hours would pass and one by one Florence watched as her friends around her settled and fell into a slumber. Whist she remained rooted wide awake, the harsh feeling of the floor passing through her sleeping bag as she stared at the charmed roof above. She had lost count the number of times she had tried to count the floating candles above. But she was easily distracted and soon enough was back to grumbling about how difficult it was to sleep. She should have known that sleep that night would not come easily, after all it took her days to get used to the bed she slept on within the school after the summer holiday. So this should not have been a surprise, but it did not matter that she knew this was likely to happen, it had still happened irregardless and Florence was still annoyed at herself. 

And to reduce the amount of stress Florence felt herself amounting the longer and longer she failed to fall asleep and the more and more she realised she could not sleep, Florence resorted to very quietly humming. Lowly enough that it would not wake Angelina on the left hand side of her, not that she was overly concerned considering the teenaged girl seemed to be able to sleep through almost anything regardless. Her brain automatically moving to the tone of Toni Braxton the song of which her mother had spent most of the summer playing as she cleaned the house. 

"Psst Flossie." Fred's voice would break her from the concentration she had settled on with another attempt at counting the candles in the ceiling. He had remained on her right side and Florence turned her head to look at him. He seemed to be in a similar state to her, unable to get to sleep in such an unfamiliar space. She sent a small smile as she continued to hum her lone tune. 

"Can't sleep." He tagged on after a moment of the pair of them remaining in silence. Florence only shook her head more than aware of the number of sleeping students in the room around them. 

"Me neither. This floor isn't even the problem. It's the teachers doing their little runway walks."Fred whined as the pair went silent as Snape passed down the row of students once again. The teachers had been walking up and down the rows every half an hour checking on the students and ensuring that no murderer was secretly being hidden in their bedding.

"What do they think they're going to catch? Two students in an compromised position?" Florence finally responded to him and Fred drew a wicked smirk on his face. 

"Want to give them a show Flossie?" He hinted and Florence knew immediately what he was hinting at and let out a quiet giggle.

"Get your head out the gutter Freddie. There are first years around." Florence nodded her head in the direction of the tiny little bundles which were the 11 and 12 year old first years as she spoke. 

"That's not a direct no."

"It's not a yes either."