One

"There has to be something I can do." Sophie repeated, for maybe the billionth time. Her voice a hoarse whisper, her hand laying, limp, in her lap- holding Keefe's letter.
Edaline, beside her, squeezed her arm. "I'm so sorry, sweetie."
Tears burdened in Sophie's eyes as she let out a quick, bland laugh. "It wasn't your fault." She told Edaline, not sure why there was so much snap in her voice.
It wasn't Edalines fault. It wasn't Sophie's, either. It was Lady Gisela's. Hate clouded Sophie's vision as she remembered Lady Gisela's hopeful, proud face as Tam 'Did the thing.'
"There has to be something I can do!" Sophie stiffened, blinking back her tears, glaring at nothing and no one in particular. She was just so mad. But it wasn't just anger she felt. A few escaped tears slid down her cheeks as she turned away to hide them.
"There is something you can do, Sophie. Stay safe." Grady assured her. "And don't let this break you."
"It's not breaking me- I'm just so... frustrated! Every time I think we had a victory, something comes along and turns the table around again. I'm just so sick of it!" Sophie kicked her flowery carpet, and beside her, Iggy let out a sickening burp.
Edaline gagged, sending a glare at the Impe cage, before turning to Sophie. "Do you want me to hail your friends? They might be able to help." Her gentle fingers traced down Sophie's arm as she studied her with worried turquoise eyes.
"Please don't." Sophie croaked, feeling the crack in her voice. "I don't want it to become real yet."
Edalines nodded. "That's fine, sweetie. I'm going to go bake some Mallomelt- I hope you'll join me in eating it." She offered, then added, "it'll be okay, Sophie."
Then, tossing one last comecened look at Grady, she walked downstairs, her feet tracing Sophie's flowery carpet.
Sophie didn't bother replying. She hated this. Keefe was in the Forbidden Cities.
He didn't know how the world worked there- he'd most likely get himself killed.
Cold, steaming worry worked it's way up Sophie's head, and she shivered, pulling her sheets up to her neck, burying her tear stained face in the covers.
Keefe had promised he'd never run off again.
But here they were.
Sophie couldn't describe the feeling that swelled up inside of her. There was a lot of anger, but most,y a brining sort of pain that Sophie had never felt before.
Actually, maybe she had- the day Keefe had run off to the Neverseen.
Only this time, it was so. Much. Worse.
Grady studied her, biting his lip. "I know up you well enough to know the next chapter to this story, Kiddo. But just promise me one thing, okay?" He waited until she reluctantly nodded.
"Don't ever shut out the people you love. Okay?"
Sophie twisted her fingers, her eyes falling on the paintings Keefe had made for her.
The people she loved.
"I promise." She told him, gazing at the runes still on Keefe's painting.
Family.
She was getting him back.
Whatever it took.
Grady squeezed her arm again, and almost seemed to know what she was thinking. "I also expect you to be carful." He raised an eyebrow.
"That's my job. I go where you go, Miss. Foster." Sandor chimed in from Sophie's doorway.
Sophie also t smiled at the familiar phrase.
Almost.
"But for now, we have Mallomelt waiting." Grady stood, and offered Sophie his hand.
Sophie started at for so long, his hand must've went numb.
Sophie couldn't imagine things ever feeling taht normal again, while Keefe was gone.
But she remembered her promise to Grady, and even though she wanted to curl into a ball on her bed and cry her heart out, she slid her hand into his.

Okay short first chapter, and very similar to my OG fanfic. I never really know how to start a story, though, but once I get into it I'll be soo much easier.
Anyway, waddidya think?