New Arrival

Written by P.D. Vance

Bluelake Grand Canyon is heaven on Earth.

Ripped open at the base, the Canyon is a gaping maw hoping to devour the universe in a single bite. Red clay dirt clings to the sides like sand, rippling in the wind and underfoot. Green bushes pepper the landscape, along with cacti and abandoned remains of yesteryear and the wide arms of trees barely eking out an existence amongst the roughest terrain.

Anuket stands at the razor's edge of the lush green world and where it collides with the neverending ruin of a vast, hungry cavern destined to reach the end of the continent before the next million years are up. In the distance, water trips and laughs as it falls. It fills the belly of the beast, crashing and lashing upon the red sands with impunity—it will not be denied.

Her hand catches the coaxing fingers of the wind, drifting upon sandy breezes hoping to drive her forward. She, unlike the rest of her companions, is not excited to go. After all, camping and hiking aren't her favorite subjects, but for Zale—her boyfriend of the last two years—she'll conquer her own fears.

As he rises from behind his black Bronco, his dark hair catches in the wind, exposing his bright blue-green eyes. They lift and settle on her, taking on a wicked edge when his mouth opens to expose a salacious grin. Pulse notching higher, Anu offers the same smile back.

"Hey! Are you idiots ready to get moving?" A voice calls Anu's attention as it catches the air, interrupting her staring contest with the most handsome man she's ever seen. "Come on, this Canyon ain't gonna climb itself."

Zale and Anu line their gazes up and roll their eyes at the same time, both over Dezmon and his antics. The last four hours were hell with him and his girlfriend complaining from the backseat. For them both to be avid nature seekers, they certainly didn't seem very keen in the eery history of the Bluelake Canyon.

Rounding his Bronco, Zale stomped over to Anu side wearing a tired smile. Wind catches his coal locks, knocking the silky strands across his forehead. Resting between his thick black eyebrows was a single curl, begging attention to his wonderful eyes, straight nose, and pouting lips.

Covered from head to toe in powerful muscle, he looked more a bodybuilder than a climber, but he loved the outdoors and everything with it. At least once a quarter, Anu was fighting her own insecurities to participate in the things he loved—careful to never complain. When he attended her painting classes, took couple's yoga, and stopped at her favorite coffee place to grab her drinks, he never uttered a single word nor failed to smile about it.

It was only fair she did the same. He rarely asked for much. Just a camping trip and time to explore the undiscovered with her at his side.

"Ready to get a move on, Anu?" He was asking despite knowing the answer to his question. She loathed nature and all its perils.

If it were up to her, she'd spend all her time wrapped up with a good book near their fireplace. But, whenever he suggested a new camping trip, she jumped at the chance. And the wiry grin making its way across her face made his heart thud a little bit faster.

"If you're here?" She took his hand in hers and pulled him close. "I'm always ready."

"You guys are so lame."

Chuckling under her breath, Anu turned to find her best friend leaned against the car in all her glory. Piles of blonde hair sat at the crown of her hair, stuffed together in a complex bun made from strings of daisies and dandelions. Fresh-faced and makeup free, Hera was a sight to
behold under the golden buttery sun.
To Zale's dark eyes, her's were sapphire and fringed with blonde eyelashes. Her petite nose sat above a cupid's bow mouth, narrow chin atop a willowy frame. Like her mother, Hera wore her heart and her attitude on her sleeve.