chapter eight

"ೃ i'm gonna kill that cowlick-having little bitch."

"it's way too early to be that violent."

mako was pacing the floor of my apartment with jiang, asami, and i watching him on the couch.

please keep in mind, it is six a.m.

i don't even get up this early for work, let alone drama.

i'm literally wearing a sweater and sweatpants and i haven't washed my hair since the engagement, so it looks like a pile of shit propped up on my head.

asami looks flawless as always and jiang looks like a god because he's always been unconventionally attractive.

i had one leg crossed over the other, my elbow perched up on my knee, and my head resting up in my hand while looking up at mako with exhaustion.

"i'm his only brother. i've been there for him his entire life. and he just goes and skips the most important day of my life?" he ranted.

"okay well-"

"i mean, there were days, literal days, where i wouldn't eat because there wasn't enough for both of us. i almost died to protect him. i deserved to have him there!"

"alright now we're getting a bit into the dramatics." i yawned.

he glared at me and leaned down. "oh really? dramatics? what would you do if both of us skipped something as important as your engagement?"

"i'd kill you, why?" i smirked. he rolls his eyes at me.

"have you even talked to him as to why he missed it? it's been like four days." asami asked, interrupting before we exploded into an argument.

"no? why does it matter, there's no excuse for him to miss it. the only thing i'd accept is if someone from our family died, which no one did. i know that for a fact because they were ALL THERE." he responded.

"you have the worst communication skills known to man." wu called out from the dining table.

i looked over and noticed he got his hands on our breakfast leftovers and was happily eating away.

i rolled my eyes and looked back at mako. "thanks, wu. i didn't notice until you graciously pointed it out."

wu smiled. "you're most welcome. it's the least i could do for also missing your engagement." he said with his mouth stuffed.

he then turned again. "or are you mad at me about that too?"

"no, wu, it's fine." he sighs. he nods and goes back to his plate of pancakes and moon peaches.

"let's just head over there now. asami, y/n, you'll join us, right?" jiang asked.

"i could be sleeping in right now, so no." i smiled.

"she's joking. let's just get ready and we'll join you in a bit." asami interjected.

"ughhh.." she took my hand and dragged me from the couch to our bedroom.

i got myself ready for the day while thinking how good my messy bed looked for another hour of sleep.

but asami didn't let me. i waited for her to finish her makeup before leaving to find the newly engaged couple talking to each other in the kitchen.