Chapter Fourteen

Connor:

I was walking through the forest, the sun had completed its tour for the day, and had now been replaced by myriad stars, which dotted the inky canopy. A low, waning gibbous moon hovered tenuously in the twilight firmament, bestowing a very dim light upon the land. It was a cool, windy night. The rustling of leaves could be heard but not seen, as the encompassing darkness had blotted out all but the faintest light of the moon. Briefly, a dark, wispy cloud eclipsed the crescent moon. For a few shadowy moments, it looked like there was a halo around the cloud, a dull aura of lunar luminescence. I continued walking through the tenebrous forest as I struggled keeping my thoughts from falling on the Chiefs daughter that has been asleep. I didn't understand why she was suddenly popping into my thoughts. I kept my head down at all times trying to avoid the red coats. I wasn't in the mood for a fight. I wanted information and that was all. I headed towards Achilles house where the men were staying at. I slowly opened the door as my men came to greet me. "Connor, where have you been?" I turned to see John and Fillan come up to me. I stood silent as if I was too tired to speak. I was once again having those days when I just felt exhausted. I walked past them and went up the stairs not saying a word. I caught Fillan and John glance at each other when I didn't respond but I didn't seem to find to care. I readied myself for bed but not before I looked out the window. I felt the cool breeze hit against my bare chest as I looked out into the dark world. I don't know where I am anymore. I sighed and walked over to my bed. Even as if the Chiefs daughter hasn't fully comprehended with the world. I couldn't help but assume that she was in two different kinds of worlds that she doesn't yet fully understand. I shook my head in response and fell on to my bed. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath to now sleep with peace. Peace without her in my nightmares yet...
Yet she's still in my dreams.

***

"Where is he!" I found myself pacing the room as if I was about to go crazy. Which I was. I need to find the assassin and my men have lost his trail. "I want to know where he is! No matter how long it takes!" I shouted.

"Eleanor, please, the men are trying their best." I turned to face the one man I didn't want to see the most. Adam Quinn. He has worked for my father for years and has come quickly to be as a close friend but today. No. Today he is a person without a brain! "You have trailed assassin to assassin and when you are assigned to this particular assassin, you lose him!"

"Patients..." He said. I walked up to Adam and hit him across the face. "Don't tell me patients!" Adam held his cheek as I turned away from him. I didn't want to see his face anymore. "Leave me!" He hesitantly walked out and I heard my name being called. "Eleanor, you need to calm down."

I sighed, "Oh no, not you too." I turned to face Gillian. She was standing by the door frame and put her hands on her hips. "I want to find this assassin as badly as you do but you don't see me asking the way you do!"

"Are you done?" I asked. "Because I have a lot of work to do since you're not in a hurry." Gillian put her hands up and stomped out the room. I turned to face the window and put my hands behind my back. I am becoming my father. I am becoming a leader I am supposed to be.