Chapter 12

now i know
that life without you
has been too lonely too long
— one night,
elvis presley

——

"Alright guys," Austin braced a hand on Dacre's shoulder to get his attention, merging into whatever conversation Tripp and him were having. "I'm gonna head out."

"What!" Tripp exclaimed, his hair managing to bob up in the air as he jumped back just a little as if Austin's words had physically pained him. "Bro, we didn't even get a chance to catch up," he reasoned. "You also didn't clear up how you two even know each other," he motioned between the two of us just as I wedged myself into the little cluster they had created, my arm brushing against Austin's. "My brain is all kinds of fucked trying to figure it out."

"Me too," Strawberry Dacre added, shaking his hand. "I'm still so lost, man."

"The first time we met was at a party," He vocalized, taking out the umbrella from behind his ear and twisting it between his fingertips. "Something Rick dragged me to for networking with journalists, and then we kind of just kept bumping into each other everywhere."

"Ah," Dacre nodded, seeming to understand it now. "Are you a journalist, Rianne?"

At the mention of work, I felt like my throat was closing up all over again, so I just shook my head no.

Austin's arm that had been resting against my own suddenly snaked behind my back, his hand materializing against my hip. "She works at a cool antique bookstore though. Never seen anything like it before." I felt his fingers flex against me, sending a reassuring squeeze my way.

"Oh shit! I get it now," Tripp declared, like the whole thing hit him right on the head, reviving all his brain cells in one go. "It's all connected because you and Syd are besties."

"Exactly," Austin confirmed, the side of his body vibrating against my own as I found myself inching myself closer and closer to him, leaning right into his comforting touch. "Well, I've had a long night and so has Rianne, so I'm gonna take her home if that's alright with you guys."

"Yeah, yeah, of course! No problem," Tripp stated. "I'm in no state to drive now anyways. Plus, I have to wait for the drunken dancing fools over there," he pointed over to Syd and Brock who were spinning in a circle laughing their whole asses off.

"Will you two be alright to drive?" Austin asked both Dacre and Tripp, a genuine sense of concern taking over his features. "I didn't drink anything so I don't mind."

"Nah," Dacre declined his offer. "I got a chauffeur. Plus Olivia and some of the others are still here, so I'll stay."

"Same," Tripp said. "Well, not the same, but you get the point."

"Thanks for coming out though, Aus," Dacre clapped Austin on the shoulder. "Glad you're getting out of the house after everything." I had no fucking clue what that meant, but Austin didn't entertain it or seem bothered by it either. He just scrunched up his face in acknowledgement. "And it was nice meeting you Rianne," Dacre said to me, tipping his glass to me, "and you too Tripp."

And then he walked away, merging into the crowd.

"I should probably go let Sydney know I'm leaving," I voiced, my mouth feeling dry from being silent for some time.

"Okay," Austin replied. "I gotta go say bye to a few people too. Meet me by that exit sign over there?" He asked, pointing up to a different door that was in the back of the joint. I hadn't realized it was ever there.

Christ, this place seemed to have a ton of different bloody exits.

"Alright," I agreed.

"Don't be a stranger," Tripp warned jokingly, waving his finger in every direction like it was a total no-no on all accounts.