Wattpad Original

Original Edition: ◇ Chapter 18 ◇ Dreamwraith ◇

CSILLA

The Dream Realm

The jungle of Macaya felt like just as much of a home as the small cottage Csilla grew up in. In her dream, the cacao flowers were in full bloom. No, not a dream. She could smell the jungle flora and feel the humidity clinging to her skin. That wasn't possible in dreams.

Csilla was crouched behind the trunk of a tree with gnarled roots sprouting from the ground, peeking around the side to see if Rhoda was coming. Then she heard the song Rhoda always sang when they played hide-and-seek in the jungle.

"...the snake slithers by,

"The owl flies at night."

Csilla leaned farther around the trunk, her hand over her mouth to keep from giggling. She still couldn't spy Rhoda, but her voice seemed closer than before.

"And when you least expect it..."

Suddenly, Csilla was grabbed from behind.

"The fox will strike!"

Csilla squealed and spun around, coming face to face with her elder sister. Rhoda wore a smile so big it lit up her eyes, something that Csilla didn't see very often. Her skin held a glow that made Csilla feel warm.

"Rhoda," Csilla said with a laugh. "You're in such high spirits today."

"Well," Rhoda said, her hands falling to Csilla's and gripping them excitedly. "It is my twelfth birthday today."

The smile fell from Csilla's face. "It is today?" Guilt crept into her heart. "How could I forget? I'm so sorry, sister, I—"

"Little Cub," Rhoda said softly. "Birthdays come every year. How about you just surprise me next year?"

Csilla smiled. "Aye aye, Sister!"

"Csilla!" came the call of a familiar voice. "Rhoda!"

The smile Csilla wore slowly dropped. Tears sprang to her eyes and she didn't know why. That voice. It was one she longed for desperately, one that she held dear to her heart. She'd seen her just that morning, but somewhere deep inside of her was an ache that felt deeper, like she hadn't seen her in ages.

Something wasn't right.

"Come home for dinner!" yelled the voice again.

"Mother!" Csilla yelled back through the jungle, even though there was nothing but tangled trees. She was surprised by the desperation in her tone.

"Let's go home," Rhoda said, pulling Csilla forward as she stepped back farther into the jungle. "Mother's waiting on us."

Csilla shook her head clear and donned a smile, hoping the unease would slip away. "What do you think she cooked for us?"

Rhoda grinned at her, but there was a strange gleam in her eye. "I suppose we will just have to see." She turned away, still holding Csilla's hand and started trudging through the jungle, pulling Csilla along.

As they walked, the jungle grew quieter. When she looked up at the tree canopy, it seemed as if the leaves had bundled closer together, blocking out any sunlight that tried to stream in. Just moments before, they had been surrounded by vibrant life, yet the farther they trekked, the darker the jungle grew.

"Rhoda," Csilla said, her voice sounding small. "I'm scared." She'd never felt more like a child.

Rhoda squeezed her hand tighter. Too tight. Their pace picked up speed. The jungle grew darker, the shadows becoming sinister.