Chapter 1

Mid February. 

It's been two and a half years since he left his hometown. The summer before starting high school, when they finished 8th grade and now it was already the second trimester of 11th grade. He was anxious. How would his old friends react. He was completely lost the past year, and he really wanted to tell them what had happened, explain why he disappeared from everywhere.

He looked himself in the mirror, his hair was blond now on the top with a slight bluish tint. He remembered when Hugo said he should dye it green to look like one of their favorite artist, frank Ocean. At that thought, a wave of sadness rushed through him but he washed it away by fixing his piercings on both ears. He put on a pair of black jeans and a gray baggy t-shirt with a Metallica logo on it. He got a flannel jacket from his closet and went downstairs for breakfast.

His mom had made pancakes and his sister was sitting at the counter one hand on the spoon and the other on her phone. "Morning" she said without taking her eyes off her phone screen.

"Ready?" His mom asked while sipping on her coffee. He nodded yes.

"Honey if you feel like you don't want to go it's fine!"

"No it's okay, I'll be fine. I need to go, it will do me good. I can't wait to see my friends again actually."

"If they're still your friends!" His sister corrected him.

"Remind me how much time does it take for you to walk to school?"

"Sorry that was a bit harsh, but what if they don't want to talk to you anymore" she was back at her phone screen now.

She was right, what if they were mad at him. He had texted Sawyer a week ago. It was a coded message they had since they were kids and they always used it during summer at camp when they wanted to share something only they knew. He thought Sawyer would figure it out and understand that he was coming back.

As soon as he was finished he took his car keys and stepped outside. His car was a small jeep, colored pine green and it was a gift from his mom. His sister followed him still looking on her phone.

"What is it so good on that phone screen that you keep starring so much?" He asked her while unlocking the car.

"Don't be such a boomer Troy! I need to keep in touch with everyone."she said and sat in the passenger seat "This car is so much better than mom's, i'm so glad she bought this for you."

"Was this all mom? Do you know if dad had any contribution to it?"

"I have no idea, I told you I barely talk to him."

Truth was Troy didn't talk to him either. They spoke once a month when he was in California, and since everything went to shit he only texted him. He would call him eventually he just needed time.

He dropped off his sister at her school and then drove off to his. His heartbeat was getting faster as he approached the high school parking lot. When he got out of the car he saw a lot of familiar faces, and a lot of teenagers recognized him as well. There was a lot of murmuring around, he waved at some kids and they waved back.

"Yo Troy what's up? You're back!" A boy in a blue hoodie shouted, it was Luis! Sophie's brother and that made his heart beat even faster as he thought you would see her any moment now.

"Yeah, i'm good how 'bout you ?" He shouted back and walked towards the front door.

He found his way into the hallway and took a look around. The school was full of teens, chatting, laughing, arguing. The walls were full with posters and different types of announcements. He had to find his locker and his first period class as they told him at the email he received after he enrolled in the school. He was searching for the lockers when he saw his friends standing in front of them. It was Sawyer, Bella and Zach. He waved a hand and Sawyer noticed him, he gasped and moved his long now curls out of his eyes and and pushed Zach in excitement. He run towards Troy while shouting "You're back" a couple of times. They collided while troy went for a hug and Sawyer actually climbed on his left side al the way to his shoulder and Troy almost fell down. A couple of kids were looking at them, it was a moment of pure joy showing that true friendships never die. Troy found his balance when an excited Bella fell onto him again, hugging him tightly, and screaming.