Chapter 3

Troy heard his alarm go off, while he was wide awake. The nightmares haven't stopped yet. Like his doctor has mentioned multiple times, it would take some time to get over what happened. It was hard for him to get enough sleep during the night. His head was filled with thoughts and awful memories he tried to push away but without much success. Every little detail of that awful day was buried deep into his brain, and it would take him a long time to stop thinking about it. The morning routine and prepping for school made things better and now there was something else, someone else that was keeping his mind busy. Sophie. He knew he had to keep a distance, but that didn't mean he couldn't hang out with her as friends at least.

Driving in Silverado in the morning was a pure blessing. Wind was rushing through the window, Troy got out of his jeep and the bell ringing echoed in his ears. He loved the fact that he knew almost half the kids on this school, that he was free to do things and be with his friends. He saw Zach, Bella and Sawyer all gathered up outside the classroom.

"Mornin'!" Sawyer greeted him with a high five.

"Troy I spoke to coach, you can try out for the team today right after practice." Zach added while he also high fived him.

"Who me? Troy snorted. "No, I won't be joining the team" he explained while getting a bottle of water out of his bag.

The others gasped.

"I'm confused, didn't you go to California for a football scholarship?" Zach asked.

"Yes, and I came back, which means I dropped out" he revealed smiling. 

"So, you quit football? Like forever?" Bella added with an obvious sadness to her voice.

"Uhm I won't follow it professionally if that's what you ask. But we could always play some football at the park" Troy added while realizing that the conversation was getting awkward. It was tough for him to stay quiet about what have happened, and it hurt him that he still couldn't talk to his friends about it.

"Well, whenever you go to the park just call me!" Zach exclaimed.

"Yeah, me too!" Sawyer cheered and gave Troy a wide smile.

Bella kept quiet while Sawyer and Zach headed to the locker room, she didn't follow them and waved that she would join them in five minutes.

"I should have told you earlier" Troy began.

"No, it's okay, I mean, we all grow up and our interests change. First it was Newt, but we all saw that coming, he was basically 6 months on the bench and the only thing he cared about was the Instagram stories he would upload. Then Pepper was transferred to another school, so she obviously left the cheerleader team and 6 months ago, when school started Sophie also quit the team. I guess it just feels a bit off, while I keep seeing my friends' changing paths, and we don't interact that much anymore. Everything keeps changing and I know that's how it's supposed to be like when you're in high school, but I just thought we had more time. A bit more time to stay all glued together, without any drama. But oh my gosh I was so wrong."

Troy squeezed her shoulder "Bella that's a teenager's life, you need to embrace it" he laughed.

"Do you think I'll also quit football? She blurted. "Look at you. You loved it, you wanted to be a professional player, and now you dropped out of the scholarship. What if this happens to me as well?"

"I can't really explain to you right now what happened in California, but I can give you my word, it won't happen to you. Actually, I won't let it happen to you, because I saw some things and I realized that you need people to advise you and take care of you, I didn't have that. And you're built differently! You are the only girl in the football team and you've prov-."