Tumbling Towers (Near x Reader)

Requested by: @Tea

"It's going to topple over," Near murmured as he twisted a strand of his snowy white hair. His gray eyes were fixed intently on the deck of cards that were clutched in your outstretched hand.

"I'm sure that it won't fall if I stay still," you countered as your boyfriend leaned forward to quickly take the cards from you. A few seconds ago, you had approached him with the proposition of building a card tower on you. "Can't you figure out how to make it structurally sound? You're the smarter one out of the two of us."

"While I do appreciate the compliment, it is very possible that the tower won't even last for ten minutes. I know how fidgety you get whenever you need to be still," he responded, pulling out the cards and shuffling through them.

"Please?"

"I'm not looking up at you. I know that you're giving me the face."

"Which one? The puppy dog eyes, or the disappointed expression?"

"It doesn't really matter which one, considering that they will always sway my decision." A short silence followed his words before his soft sigh cut through the air. "Lay down..."

A smile cut across your face as you followed his orders, grateful for the soft carpet instead of the cold linoleum floors. Near started on the task, letting himself sink into the familiarity that it offered. Everything was going okay, at least until you had to sneeze.

"Can you hold it? I am very close to finishing-" started Near, being interrupted by your sneeze.

The organized tower fell apart, the cards falling down with soft thunks against the floor. A soft giggle came from you as you sat up, a sheepish smile lifting up your lips.

"Wasn't I correct?" your boyfriend asked, a slight smile decorating his face. He moved to collect fallen cards, quickly being helped by you.

"I couldn't help that, but it was going well up to that point," you replied, handing over the remaining cards to Near. "Even though it wasn't successful, it meant a lot to me that you agreed to my request."

"I enjoy spending time with you, even if it doesn't work out in the end." His hand moved to twist a strand of his hair as your lips spread into an even bigger smile. "You do know that you mean a lot to me?"

"I do, and I hope that you feel the very same about me," you responded as you moved out to intertwine your fingers with his. "Now, do you want to try to see if I will move this time? I bet that I won't."

"Let's test your hypothesis." He gently squeezed your hand before restarting his careful work.