chapter one: employees only

There was one way to make George's horrible day even worse, and that would be for him to get hit by a car.

No, seriously. It was 6 pm after a very long day of school, and George had somehow managed to spill hot water all over his nice shirt, get smacked in the back of the neck by a basketball, and step in a huge puddle on the walk back to his car.

When he walked inside his house, his dad greeted him with a big smile.

"Hey, George! How was school?" George's dad asked, beaming at his son.

George just groaned in response, jogging up the stairs to his bedroom and shutting the door dramatically behind him.

"I'll take that as 'Hey dad, thanks for asking. I had a great day!' " George's dad said to himself under his breath.

Meanwhile upstairs, George laid out on his bed, flat on his stomach. He narrowed his eyes and focused-in on his hamster's cage, looking at his hamster Scout.

"Scout, why is the universe against me?" George asked the hamster.

Scout was silent, of course, aside from a few nibbles on a piece of carrot George had snuck into his cage earlier that morning.

"You're a hamster of few words, you know that, Scout?" George asked.

The hamster stop chewing momentarily, looking over at George, then continued eating.

"You really had me there. I thought you were actually gonna start talking." George laughed to himself, getting up from bed.

George's phone then chimed.

Pending FaceTime from Karl Jacobs

Accept ✔️

Deny

George answered the FaceTime from his best friend Karl, noticing immediately that Karl wasn't in his bedroom.

"George-y boy!" Karl said loudly, trying to speak up over the loud music that was blasting on his end of the phone call.

"Where are you?" George asked.

"Alex's house...it's Tina's birthday party today?" Karl reminded George, his excitement fading after he realized George forgot about the party.

"Oh, shit. That was tonight?!" George asked, a guilty feeling sinking to the bottom of his stomach.

George knew Tina's birthday was coming up, and he also knew Alex had offered to throw her a surprise party with the whole friend group over at his house.