Broken, Bruised, and Unapologetic

Two weeks before the Byers moved out:
Maxine Mayfield was done. And by that I mean she was fed up with Neil. He was usually drunk, and on the race occasion he wasn't shit-faced, he was still an abusive asshole who knew no boundaries.

So on this particular occasion, she was locked in her bathroom, sobbing, when a voice came on over her Walkie-Talkie. "Max? Are you there? We didn't see you at the arcade, and we got worried. Over," it said, concerned.

She sighed and cleared her throat, trying not to sound like she had been crying. "I appreciate the concern, Will, but I'm fine. My mom just made me do some extra chores, and I forgot to radio in. And before you ask, I mean my real mom, not Steve. Over."

At that, Will chuckled, some of the anxiousness erased from his voice. "Alright, just tell us next time, before El goes on another rampage and starts threatening people. Over and out."

That time, she completely shit off her Walkie. She put on a thick layer of foundation and concealer, trying to hide most of the bruises, and just cloaked the marks on her arms and legs by wearing inconspicuous leggings and Billy's old University of California sweatshirt. He was an ass to her, but it was sentimental. He had gotten it from his mother, and she used to steal it from him when he was gone for long periods of time.

Speaking of California, she spent much of the little time she wasn't regretting everything that happened that Summer wishing she could visit her old home. Her father, who was a gambling addict but still a better parent than her mom and stepdad combined.

She longed to take the next flight down to San Diego, and encapsulate herself in her biological dad's warm embrace. To go to the arcade, which was twice the size of Hawkins' Palace Arcade, and come second-place on the scoreboard of Dig-Dug. She had always been second best-  to her father, that is. She was obviously envious of his natural knack for easy hand-eye coordination. Now, she just wished she could bicker with him over stupid crap and eat pizza and watch horror movies till 2:00 A.M. She wanted to prank the kids that used to pick on her, one more, just to see him again.

But, alas, times had changed. The girl was no longer MadMax. She was still strong, but she would break. And until then, she was going to fight back.

...

427 words... Not much, but c'mon, it's the beginning. Give me a break :)