The Chronicles of Possession: Nosebleeds and Headaches

The Friday before Spring Break...
First semester had gone by smoothly, for the most part. No monsters, or anything- just high school (aka a hellhole, but you know) and all the problems that followed.

The Friday before Spring Break was busy: a pep rally; a super important basketball game; the last two pills of Tylenol in Max's bag; Mike visiting the Byers.

The pep rally came first. It was boring, as per usual, until Jason started giving a speech. It was infuriating for a group of freshman, a few seniors, and a visiting alumnus on the stands, because what the blonde-haired moron was talking about was the "mall fire". He used these deaths as motivation for a stupid basketball game!

What really hurt the most for Max was when he listed the names of people who had died that day, especially at the mention of her brother. A pounding headache set in as he said his name.

As soon as it was over, the Mayfield teen quickly made her way to the bathroom and gulped down a few Tylenol pills- the last of the container. Second hour was study hall (which was pointless, because there was only ever one class's homework to do), so she headed to Miss Kelly's office when she was done.

The school psychologist was a nice woman, but too nosy for Maxine. She thought she was kind of annoying, but Miss Kelly wanted her to keep coming to her on Thursdays. After an obnoxious session that felt like aforever, Max exited the building and started walking to Dustin's house to work on their English project.

When the girl knocked on the door, it was only a few seconds before it swung open. "Max?" questioned the boy who had answered.

"We were gonna work on the stupid ELA project, remember?" It was basically a book report on The Little Prince, but with extra pieces of shit to put together. Fun.

He slowly nodded his head. "Oh, yeah. Totally forgot about that." Dustin swept his hand, as if to say Come in! and she chuckled, following him. "Welcome to my humble abode," the boy stated as he hoisted his backpack and walked into his room.

Damn that kid, he always knew his to cheer her up- even though it was usually unintentional, and when he didn't even know she didn't it. "You're such a nerd, Dustin Henderson. Such a nerd."

"Why, thank you!"

Max scoffed and proceeded to plop down on his bed. They had worked on their project for a while when the girl felt something weird in her nose. "Uh, Max, your nose is bleeding," Dustin stated when he noticed.

"Yeah, thanks..."

Max went to the bathroom to flush the blood out of her nose, noting his pale she was. Nauseous, she went back to her friend's bedroom, tissue in hand. "You sure you don't have psionic powers?"

She shook her head and grumbled something under her breath that would've gotten her a detention if she were still at school.

"Okay, okay! Just checking, chill."

The day went on like normal, but Max simply couldn't shake the weird feeling in the pit of her stomach.