-OCTOBER. 3.-

"So...." Ace started with a held back grin. She sat cross legged on the bench. "I'm gonna practise some quidditch on Thursday, cause obviously the tryouts are in two weeks but everyone forgets about them until a few days after and the pitch is always overcrowded."

Carmilla watched her drizzle too much off something yellow and sweet over the chicken wings on her plate as she rambled. "Uh huh."

"So... I'm getting a head start..." she cocked her head, pink hair falling in her face. "Do you wanna have a go too? I can teach you!"

"I don't have a broom, sorry," Carmilla said. She reached for the dinner rolls. She'd seen the broomstick shop when she went into the second-hand store in search of robes with Hagrid. A shiny one, the Flicker 180, had prime spot in the window. It cost thousands of galleons.

Ace waved her hand, "they have spares in the shed. You can grab one of those. They're pretty shitty, trust me. If you get onto the team, you'll want a new one, but you can still use them."

"Okay," Carmilla shrugged. "I'll have a go."

She beamed, clapping her hands too many times to count. "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

"Did someone mention quidditch?" June asked said tiredly. She sat down next to June and slid her sketchbook between a jug of pumpkin juice and the bowl of ride she began ladling onto her plate.

Carmilla raised an eyebrow and reached for the corn chips. She dipped one into what looked like a mashed-up avocado. "Well guessed. I might try out for the team. Ace said she'd teach me."

"Which position?"

She choked on the corn chip and tried not to laugh. Once she swallowed it, she thumped her chest. "Sorry what?"

June shook her head with a smile. She put a fried egg and some chopped up pieces of meat on her rice. "Position on the team. There's the keeper, chasers, beaters, and the seeker."

"I don't know what those words mean," Carmilla said, pointing her corn chip at June. She glanced over June's shoulder and saw Charlie from transfiguration. He ducked someone's fist of noodles and waved at her.

She waved back.

Ace narrowed her eyes. "Who were you waving at?"

"Charlie, he let me borrow his ink pot in Transfiguration?" Carmilla told her, wondering if he'd managed to turn the blue pillow back into an ink pot. She turned to look at the Gryffindor table. James and Peter were still sporting purple patches as well.

She bit down on another avocado dipped corn chip. "It'll fade eventually, right?"

After dinner and a winding trek up to the Ravenclaw tower that included enough wrong turns to lead her to the dungeons, she was back in her dorm room.

After shoving Sass off her bed and trying to brush the hair that would make her sneeze off, her bed was free. After she unpacked her bag, throwing her blue pillow onto her bed, she could lay down and close her eyes.

Hopefully she learnt the counter spell in the next Transfiguration class, because she sort of needed that quill. She only had three.

"Ace my dearest?"

Ace didn't look up from where she bent over an unrolled piece of parchment on the squishy couch, a large white quill in her hand. "I'm not writing your essay."